CO2 on intercooler??

tgpguy21

ok so ive been seeing and hearing alot about these jap cars that spray co2 directly on the intercooler to freeze it and supposedly it gives up to and extra 50 hp?? anyone know anything about this and what kind of set up they have?? is it a constant spray or what??? Thanks for any help!!!!

New Ricer trend, yes it will help by cooling the air, but you have to remember, co2 doesnt compress and burn with air, might as well spray nitrous, cools the air and burns with the air for more power.

-Jeff

well is it a constant spray or what?? also wouldnt it be cheaper to refill co2 instead of nos?? do you think nos would actually produce more hp than c02?? i mean their both just freezing the intercooler right?? :think:

well is it a constant spray or what?? also wouldnt it be cheaper to refill co2 instead of nos?? do you think nos would actually produce more hp than c02?? i mean their both just freezing the intercooler right?? :think:

From what I've read it's a air spray to lower the intake temperature of the air.

But, it's Carbon Dioxide (CO2)... that doesn't help combustion one bit; so I need to read up more!

- Erik

Guest TurboSedan

i would rather run a 7th injector with alcohol just before the TB, than use NOS, or a CO2 spayer. i know eclipse5302 installed an SMC alcohol injection kit like this on his Turbo STE, you may want to contact him or check out his website at http://www.turboste.com is a CO2 sprayer very effective anyway? doesn't seem like it would be and i have a hard time believing it adds 50HP but who knows? a nitrous kit might be expensive and i don't like the thought of using that on a high mileage motor.....

joshua

ricer trend..I think not my friend, I've seen turbocharged domestics/etc spray their intercoolers w/ co2 before running at the track, you don't spray it directly into the intake charge, just on the intercooler before running, that way it's chilled and you don't take in any of the co2(kills combustion as Erik mentioned) I've rigged up a sprayer on my volvo before and it helped out on hot days when I sprayed it before running the car hard, it wasn't a night/day difference, but it definitely helped. You can make one easy if you have a bending/flaring kit for small piping..I used small copper tubing(I don't remember the size, I have it laying around somewhere..available at home depot/lowes/other hardware places) that I drilled small holes all the way around, spliced a t-fitting in and ran a line to from my ~1lb CO2 bottle from a friends paintballing days and used a manual valve(it's easy to rig up a electronic solenoid to do the same when desired, I had a manual valve laying around, so I utilized it) mounted beside the center console in my volvo. I used refill cartridges I ordered somewhere online that were like $5 or so for 25oz worth of CO2 It didn't last more than a few sprays though, I was basically experimenting with it, I probably spent no more than $40 or so on it since I had almost everything I needed already. You can easily beat the $150 price people charge on ebay and the other online sources charge. I use a Regal brand bending/flaring/cutting kit that is a few $'s at most hardware stores. Anyways, other alternatives are using an expensive ass nitrous kit to do the same, water misting the intercooler with your own kit, or alcohol injection. As far as adding 50hp, I don't see that being possible unless you're freezing the hell out of the intercooler and running tons more boost. Anyways, this is just my take on it since I have tried it and had decent results.

from what i've heard and read, like mfewtrail said, the co2 is sprayed on the outside of the intercooler so it doesn't matter if it combusts... its not actually mixing with the air going into the engine. I'm working on one actuallly now with an old N20 bottle filled with co2 to see if it really does any difference.

chemically speaking, co2 is one of the most stable gases ever. It would require a heat hot enough to melt iron to make it combust. There will never be a temp high enough in your engine to make co2 burn... hopefully. :shock:

The co2 therefore MUST be sprayed on the outside of the intercooler, because if it were sprayed in, the car would die and not move an inch. It cannot work without using extremely volitile gases. no2 is a better idea if you want to spray something into the intercooler, but the alcohol line sounds best, not to mention that it makes for very little carbon build up.

Ahh, pure hydrocarbons. natures best friend.

hope the chem lesson helps- Ben.

Nitrous Express makes an intercooler sprayer called the "Ntercooler." It uses a regular nitrous set-up, but sprays onto the intercooler to chill it.

Here's some pictures.

Ntercoolersprayer.jpg

ntercoolerspraybar.jpg

Then ZEX makes an "Ejecter Air Amplifier" which sprays nitrous into their special cone filter. That way you don't have to tap your intake [but wouldn't be helpful for a turbo car]. It did win an award at SEMA.

http://www.thelegacycontinues.co.uk/EJECAIRAMPFILNOZ.HTM