TGP or GTP

Dannymik

I would interested to here from the group which one they would prefer. If you have experience with the 2 and would like to tell me what pros and cons they have I'd appreciate it. In other words Turbo vs. Supercharger. Thanks Dan

I would interested to here from the group which one they would prefer. If you have experience with the 2 and would like to tell me what pros and cons they have I'd appreciate it. In other words Turbo vs. Supercharger. Thanks Dan

I should include the time frame for my question related to the yrs of the models.

'89-'90 TGP's (Turbo)

'91-'95/'96 <---not sure if they made GTP's in that year (DOHC 3.4's)

'97-'03 GTP's (Supercharged)

The supercharged cars are impressive performers, A DOHC won't disappoint you performance wise and neither will a stock TGP. Overall, and a lot of guys aren't gonna like hearing this, but the L67 is the best all around choice for gas mileage, reliability, performance and there is so much aftermarket for 500$ if not less your pushing 300 horses.

I'm kinda biased to superchargers myself, even though i haven't driven either one. Basically, with the GTP, your gonna have all the newer ammenities, comforts, and more parts available.

It really all depends on what you want and what you plan to do with it. Personally, if it were me deciding between those two, I would choose the newer GTP, good amount of power to start, very mod friendly and *should* have less problems than an older car(not always the case.). As far as looks go, I like the TGP's over any W-body generation Grand Prix(the composite lights are hot!)..even better than my 01 although I certainly don't mind the looks of it..or otherwise, I wouldn't be driving it now. :wink: As far as power, a TGP is not that bad and can be modified pretty easily(my definition of easy anyways) and run pretty well. I have no experience w/ the 3.4 gen GTP's(I've driven two 3.4 powered cars though..a 4 door 91 STE and a 92 Lumina Z34..both had nice power and the motors sounded pretty sweet in them) but all the cars have the same things as far as options go for the most part(HUD's, DIC's, leather, cd, etc, etc..)..just depends on what motor you want and what body style in choosing one over the other.

I have driven/raced all 3.

I would choose the new GTPs. Good power, comfort, reliability, etc. And the aftermarket is big. The TGP was fun, it had a low end like no other. Power was made form 2000-5500 rpm, very different from the 3.4 DOHC, which makes power from 3000-6500.

However my Z34 can easily walk a S/C GTP, so it proves that the 3.4 DOHC isn't that far back.

The TGP I drove had 11 psi boost and a 5-speed, yet I was dissapointed it only got a 15.2. Many DOHC 3.4 autos are doing 15.2s with little mods.

I've ridden a Stock Supercharged 2002 SSEi, and a Modded 1990 Supra Turbo.

I think I liked the Turbo Supra better. Even though the power wasn't there right away it kicked in soon and really picked up.

The supercharged SSEi has really good lowend power and kept pulling.

But I think Turbo cars have more potential.

this would be my order of preference:

94-96 GTP ( my favorite GP styling ever)

TGP

newer GTP ( I don't really care for the restyling)

...that being said if I only cared about performace I would start with the newer GTP

I prefer the 97+ GTP hands down. It performs better stock, has a better aftermarket, gets better gas mileage, doesn't require anywhere near as much maintenance, etc.... How many TGP owners can say they run mid 12's and get 37mpg on the freeway? Now that I think about it, how many TGP owners can say they run mid 12's? For ~$500 in mods you can be making over 300 horsepower with an L67. It would take quite a bit of money to make 300 horsepower in a TGP. Don't get me wrong, TGP's are nice cars and everything, their just not the cheapest/easiest cars to mod and make go fast.

Shawn

TGP's are nice cars and everything, their just not the cheapest/easiest cars to mod and make go fast.

Ahhhh...but there in lies the joy. If it only takes $500 to make 300hp on a GTP, then it'll be that easy for everyone, which takes the fun out of it for me. If I wanted a car just for easy performance upgrading, I'd sell all my cars and make a downpayment on a WS6 Trans Am. High 13s right off the bat ain't too shabby. :wink: But I'd rather have a car where it's not as expected. I love rarity in cars. And if you can top that rarity off with neck breaking acceleration, then all the better. :twisted: Sure it's probably harder with a TGP. And sure it's so high maintenance that it makes Catherine Zeta-Jones look like a humbled orphan. But that's part of the fun, to me.

The TGP is the perfect medium in performance: Not super easy to build up, so no one expects a total killer, but not so hard that it isn't worth the time, money, and effort (i.e. a N/A 3.1). Also, I don't know that it's fair to say that it would be really difficult, either. You asked how many TGPs run 12s. Well, how many TGPs are out there to begin with? And of those, how many belong to owners who realize what they have? And out of those who realize and appreciate what they have, how many have gotten serious about modding them, even on this board? Makes it kind of tough to judge. What I am seeing a LOT of on this board, are TGPs with nothing more than a Top Gun chip that are easily pulling 14s on tired, 120K + mile motors. Not too bad, in my book. A healthy, stock rebuild alone would do these cars some good, let alone some internals swapping.

The 12s your GTP pulls is very impressive, but I'm sure the list of mods is a tad bit longer than your TGPs, which is probably almost bone stock. I don't think enough people have tampered with TGPs to get a good gauge for ease of modding, but I'd say that chip alone is a pretty good start and indication. Just my opinion, though.

I've never driven or ridden in a 97+ GTP or an 89-90 TGP, but I've owned both automatic and 5 speed 3.4 cars. Let me say that the 3.4 is a high maintenance engine, and it gets a bad rep due to the high amount of problems and automatic equipped cars. I think the 5 speed 3.4 and the auto 3.4 are totally different cars. I'm still ranking them last, but if you're seriously debating between the 3 engines, find a 5 speed 3.4 car to test, it's a blast. As for my picks, I'm going with the supercharged 3800, then the turbo 3.1, then the 5 speed 3.4. Then I'd pick about any other engine available to the W body, then an automatic 3.4. I had a horrible experience with my auto, and it just isn't a well matched drivetrain. Let me say this again, I'm not trying to be overly harsh on the 3.4, it's just not an engine that should be in your daily driver, or in front of an automatic. It has it's place.

I totally agree with Hyeboy. if any of us on here wanted fast cars with cheap upgrades, we'd go out and buy a stang, or something with a 350 in it and throw alittle money into it to make it supper fast. thats boring though. being able to put work into your car and stomp someone who doesnt even expect it, and see the look on their face is what its all about. People expect stangs, and the newer gtps to be fast and that ruins all the fun. As for comparing these three I think thats also kinda hard. there were 7,000 TGPs made 1000 TSTEs. In one year alone GM makes way more GTPs than they did in three years with these cars, and with every year the GTPs are out they only get faster and faster with better parts.

Oh, one of the grandest of all questions!

From experience, I own a 3.4 DOHC, have driven a 3.8 S/C, and own a 3.1 MPFI (sorry no T/C, but I can about imagine the difference.) They are all really great engines, but it's really where you want your power to decide which is better. I like the styling of the '92-'96 GP better then all the rest of the years its been in production. The 3.1L T/C motor has alot of potential with the turbo so that it can be made to produce well over the stock 205HP with its gains at low end. This motor will last someone along time. The 3.4 DOHC has an impressive stand at it's max of 215HP stock with its gains at high end. There isn't alot of modifications that this motor can have, nor is it rendered as the most reliable. The 3.8 S/C with its 240HP stock and has the most potential because it's the newest, but again has low end power. This motor is very reliable and can also have well over the stock HP with some modifications. Personally, I rank the engines the following...

1. 3.4 DOHC

2. 3.1 T/C

3. 3.8 S/C

(Granted the 3.8 S/C has the most stock HP, but the Turbo of the 3.1 can be tuned to produce alot more HP overall, plus I like my high end power from my 3.4 DOHC, watch out on the highway!)

You're not too far from where I am.

plus I like my high end power from my 3.4 DOHC, watch out on the highway!

I am sure your 3.4 is quicker on the highway than my stock Turbo 3.1 in my STE, but if you are interested, I am wondering if you want to hook up some sort of highway race to see just how much quicker the 3.4 is. Are you modded at all? All I have done is a removed cat, and in about a week and a half I will have magnaflow mufflers, but completely stock otherwise. Whaddya think?

Shawn

i drove a 94 GTP, a 90 TGP, i have a 93 z34, and i raced my freind who has a 91 5 speed z24, i also rode in it once, i told him to get on it when we were doing 45.

out of the four, i rate the tgp as the most fun to drive (i love the sound of turbo) its quality ride, fit and comfort. overall, the best.

GTP came in close at second, great ride, brakes are great, (94+ brakes on w-body's rule). it also had a deeper, throaty growl from inside of the car when i got on it. i love that about the 3.4. the gtp i drove was loaded, it had every option. also, car only had 40k miles on it (i drove it this summer). very nice versy sharp looking car.

third would be the z34. my baby. i love the exterior looks of the car, but the interior looks way to similar to my 72 nova SS. the controls suck ass. and its just a plain cheap interior, my cutty has a better interior then my z, and its 3 years older. the ride is solid, but the brakes need a big upgrade from stock for that performance. otherwise, almost the same as the GTP.

the 91 z-24, is great off the line because of the low endo torque, but the lack of top end just plain sucks. on top of that, the interior is as cheesy as the lumina, and its all plastic crap. eh, its better then a civic.

It depends on what you want. If you want the best car for your money (from those choices), choose the L67 GTP. It's fast, attractive, well-optioned, and it has a large aftermarket.

If you are a hardcore w-body enthusiast, the TGP is by far the best choice. It's rarity alone makes it a very desirable car. Combine that with it's very high potential for performance, and the cool amenities it's equipped with (HUD), and you've got yourself a damn cool W-body. Probably the absolute coolest stock w-body of all.

LQ1 people love those too. All three choices are good ones.

If the LQ1 had more aftermarket parts, it would be competitive also. Although the TGP starts with a lower horsepower, I think the TGP and the '97+ GTP have pretty similar potential.