hood scoop mold amost done!

Marcus18

do the glass anyway over the mold. If you dont and just use the drywall paste, once that is dry and you sand it, your gonna try and make a glass scoop, correct? well the minute you touch the resin to that dryway mud, its ruined. the resin will bond with the mold and you'll be fucked. if you do a thin layer o0f glass over the dryway, then you can wax that and use that as a mold and will have no problems.

- Justin

well, if you wax it OR use a good paint and sand it VERY smooth then that will work too. Someone told me that there is a powder that you can use that does the same thing but i dont remember what it is called.

- Justin

has anyone ever tried the fiberglass resin jelly? i have a can of fiberglass resin thats like liquid, do you think the jelly would be easier to use? kinda like peanut butter or jelly, you could like scoop it on there and spread it around and wouldnt even have to touch it with a clothes or brush, maybe a brush but it wouldnt be as messy?

you might want to try that for your scoop, since it will be kinda curved or depressed and the resin might run out and cause a huge mess

What i do when i fiberglass:

Get the fiberglass cloth, and rip it into small pieces (maybe 2"'s big, if that) DO NOT CUT CLOTH, the frayed edges help bond stuff

Get the fiberglass resin, figure out how much you gonna need, and put it into a cup that the resin will not burn through (its happened to me before)

Add the appropriate amount of hardener and mix

Get some small 1"-2" brushes, and dip it in the resin mix

grab the cloth, hold it where you want it, then dab the resin mix on it; basically its best to dab it on, not paint it on, will hold better

Do a layer or two, and let dry.

Then apply 1 or 2 more layers

Once done, pull it out, and make its pretty evenly layered

NOTE: The curves are actually stronger than the straight parts, no kidding.

Let this all dry, then start sanding.

Once you got it sanded, apply bondoglass (its a body filler for fiberglass)

Apply it just like you would bondo

Let that dry, then sand it down

Once you get it to the desired smoothness, prep and paint.

well I have to wait until I get some hardener before I can go to the next step.

I have molded the scoop out of mud on my hood. started out as a "lets mold one up to see what would look good" then turned into a "lets put fiberglass over it". the mud is soft so I'm going to put the glass on it then once it dries I'll flip it over and carve it out. Think I should put louvers on with the scoop?

this is kinda what it looks like

282859_25_full.jpg

marcus