Is this a good idea? (Security System)

GP1138

Hey, long time no post, just been lurking for awhile. I was browsing through my local thrift store recently, and came across a VSC 3100 GM security system kit for about $8. Brand spanking new, I swear. The kit itself comes with 2 fobs, a siren, a starter kill relay, and the box everything runs to.

I'm going to have to remove the old keyless entry kit I have in there, the bulldog, because this is seriously better. I just wondered if anyone had any tips/experience with or about this kit. Though it's seriously weird I found this in a thrift store, of all places.

You have an existing factory keyless entry on your Grand Prix?

If so, you cant' just rip out the old system; the electronics are integrated into your door locks.

If removed, the power locks won't work since the KE module completes the door lock circuit.

You'll half to integrate and splice into the existing system to have it work out for you.

If an aftermarket system, then yeah it'll be an easy rip-out and re-install of the new system.

- Erik

Nono, I installed the aftermarket Bulldog kit. This car didn't come with keyless/alarm.

In that case, it should be an easy install.

Recommendation: once old system is removed, re-wire to stock. Then wire new system.

You don't want to blow a fuse or circuit by trying to splice into the wrong wire(s).

- Erik

yeah its really easy...you probably know most of it, but when i was wiring the alarm on the 91 CS, sirens, starter kill and all, i did the whole thing in one afternoon. just be careful where you cut and if you can, solder all of your connections before taping them. I had some bad grounding issues at one point and i couldn't even start my car!!! So just be careful, and try to keep it as neat as possible. Nothings worse than finishing up a job and getting it working to realize that ur wires are all tangled up and all over the place and you can't get them hidden away :roll:

good luck

YK