Ignition Key "Transponder VATS " Question 96 Cu

VaCutty96

Hope you can help me out. My Cutlass's ignition key has the small VATS Transponder chip. They tell me it's an added security measure.

The dealer wants $28 per key ! Has anyone figured out a way to get key copies cheaper?

Any advice is appreciated....

Thanks in advance

well.... you could always use a transponder unit for a remote start, it bypasses the key when the remote start is in use. The box gives the right resistance when it's powered up. Instead of just having it powered up with a remote start, you could wire it up to live with ignition. As soon as you go to ign in your ign. switch you'd be set, cut all the cheap keys you want.

what he said :withstupid: its called a "GM Passkey" Module. You can get them at any respectable (meaning not best buy or circuit city) car audio place. They should run you anywhere between $40 anf $80 dollars. Not really worth i if you ask me.

$28 for a key isnt bad. My step brother had a camaro with VATS and they wanted $90 per key.

- Justin

if you measure the resistance of the chip on the key.. from one side of the chip to the other and then buy a resister at radio shack for about 1$ then you go under the dash and there should be a connector with two wires(not the air bag one) take the connector apart and put the resister in between the two wires on the computer side and you wont need it any more... basically thats what the remote starter module does only they put a relay in there that clicks in when the car starter is engaged.. but the security is still in place..its really easy to do and its CHEAP!!

Ps if i remember right the connector has a clip on it and is on the steering colum and they are two white wires the one with the yellow is the air bag