Question about Leather Buckets - PICS

92turboLE

OK, so i was able to get a screaming deal on the full power leather buckets ($12.00 each) at a local junkyard. The seats are dark charcoal. I have 2 questions actually. Are the leather seats supposed to sit higher then the standard cloth seats?

secondly, the driver side seat is in perfect shape, but the passenger seat has a little spot of water damage on it. The color is finee and it isnt stained, but is had a section about 4 inches by 6 inches in kinda an oval shape that has shrunk a little and stiffened up and become rough due to water and possibly ice on it. My question: Is there something that will condition the leather and soften it up and allow it to loosen up a little. The damaged area is actually pulling up on the edges of the seat a little - nothing too noticeable, but its kinda an eye sore to look at. I was told by a co-worker that mink oil or saddle soap from a farm supply shop "should" work but will taike a while. Im sure that would work cuz that is exactly what it is designed for, but it is kinda expensive. My brother has a bottle of Meguires Leather cleaner and conditioner that i havent tried yet, but will make that my first attempt. Does anyone else know of anything that can reverse the effects of water damage?

PICS:

Here are the seats:

seats1.jpg

seats2.jpg

Here is the water damage on the passenger seat that i need to repair:

damage1.jpg

Closeup:

damage2.jpg

Incase you were curious, they came from a Cutlass 4-door. i wanted the rear bench with the split fold down back but it had a massive tear in it on the drivers side. I think it was a 95 cuz it had the 5-star wheels.

Thanks in advance.

- Justin

nope, these were the ONLY leather buckets - pretty much ONLY leather anything actually. I know where there are tan cloth buckets if your interested, probly get em for $15 a seat. They were in perfect shape last time i looked at em. Even the rear buckets to boot.

any ideas on the leather repair???

- Justin

i used blue coral leather conditioner on mine, had the same problem but not as bad, the pass window was broken in the car i got mine from and the seat got wet when it rained, now it looks new after using the conditioner for a week every other day, and i havent conditioned it for probably 6 months and still looks excellent.

AWESOME, i'll give that a try... im desperate on it... it kinda feels like sandpaper. Did the blue coral soften the leather pretty good, and did it allow it to stretch back to normal or close to anyway??? any details would be awesome. Also where did you get it and what was the rough cost on it...

anyone know if these seats are supposed to sit higher then the cloths??? cuz mine sit WAY higher.

- Justin

any light tan cutty coupe leather around you????

i have the rears i need to get rid of, perfect condition, ill sell em to you for cheap, then youll only be hunting for the fronts

i have the rears i need to get rid of, perfect condition, ill sell em to you for cheap, then youll only be hunting for the fronts

are they from a cutty??

this is the color I want...

c9_4.JPG

36_4.JPG

i got it from advance, dunno the price. it softened it quite a bit and yes it did soften enough to let it relax back to position.

i'm on pair #2 of cutlass buckets in the lumina, the power ones are able to adjust to the height of my stock lumina buckets.

are they from a cutty??

this is the color I want...

c9_4.JPG

36_4.JPG

damn, i got the wrong color, they were from a 92 GTP and they are a bit darker, sorry

Christ.. the guy here wanted 500 bucks for the leather seats he has in the yard.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

ALL seats at my yard are $16.00 per, $15.00 for the rear.. Go somewhere else man, MY GOD!!!

i wanna say that the wheels are in the $32-35 dollar range, but dont quote me on that and im not sure if they are all there... i know the rears had been taken off to pull brake hardware, but i think they were laying under the car... i'll call up there when i get home and see if they are all there and what kinda shape and price and what not.

- Justin

do you already have buckets??? if soo, then you can go to the dealership and they can order the covers... all the seats come pre stiched and are just stretched over the seat so you can take that off and order new covers... my brother said that he could get them for about $90 a seat, but that was with his discount which he not longer has.

i would imagine about $120 a seat retail for the covers.... not sure on that either, but might be worth a shot to look into.

- Justin

nope, don't have buckets....I personally don't see the fascination with them.....I just want the light tan seats....

ya know, i wanted them so bad before, and now that i got them, im kinda disapointed. They arent ANYWHERE near as comfy, but damn they are sexy looking. They really dont hold you in all that well either.

- Justin