Got another W-Body (added pics)

bluegp

I just recently bought a '96 Lumina from eBay. I've alway had at least 2 cars I could depend on until my Beretta GTZ blew the head gasket about 2 1/2 years ago. Since then, I've been down to just the GP and it's been a real PITA trying to do any work on it (one weekend off a month, 2 small children, no garage, etc.). I think it was a good deal -- I got it for $1500. It's a white/burgundy base model with 103K miles, immaculate interior, power locks, tilt wheel, and a Pontiac/Delco CD player w/EQ. It has the common peeling paint. Some of it has been repainted however. It has a rattling noise in the rear (struts/strut mounts?).

After driving it for longer than a week, then going back to the GP, there's a few comparisons. The GP has the optional suspension with the 15" wheels & bigger sway bars for it's year. The Lumina unfortunately has the FE1 "soft ride" suspension, so the difference is obvious. The steering is a lot "heavier feeling" on the GP (which I like better), but the turning radius on the Lumina seems to be smaller. The funny thing is, the Lumina seems to go around a corner just about as fast as the GP. The seating position is lower (better) in the GP (or is the cowl lower on the Lumina?). The Lumina is a lot quieter inside (but then it is 7 years newer and redesigned to be quieter), but while inside, the electric fuel pump is a lot louder than the one in the GP. The 3100 makes the same (piston slap?) noise as the 3.1. The thing that really surprised me was how the Lumina has no balls. My stock (except for turbo muffler) 143K mile GP feels like it has more low end torque and will lay rubber if floored from a stand still -- not the Lumina. The GP transmission has been rebuilt and does shift firmer than stock. I thought it still wasn't firm enough until I drove the Lumina for a while. The shifts in that are way too soft. The GP is more likely to downshift when I want it to (by throttle position). The upper end power might feel slightly better in the Lumina, but no big difference. A weird thing I haven't figured out yet is how the Lumina, when floored, will be a dog at first then start to take off almost like it has a "powerband". It has no tach, so I don't know at what RPM. Has anyone else experienced this?

The Lumina is supposed to be a second car for when the other is being worked on, but I already have thoughts of modifications - stiffer, lower suspension, 16" wheels, bucket seats/floor shift, optional gauges, LTZ spoiler, etc. Good thing my pocketbook will probably not allow any of that.

I've driven a few of the newer Luminas.. and despite their looks, I do give them props on their highway ride and quietness in the passenger compartment. Honestly, if I had to do a lot more over-the-road driving than what I do now, I'd probably buy a newer Lumina just for that.

I've driven a few of the newer Luminas.. and despite their looks, I do give them props on their highway ride and quietness in the passenger compartment. Honestly, if I had to do a lot more over-the-road driving than what I do now, I'd probably buy a newer Lumina just for that.

yep, they are nice, my friend has a 98 monte carlo and those things are pretty comfortable, very nice and smooth ride

the 3.1 making that noise is not piston slap, just rockers, unless it is doing it non stop. IF it stops after a few minutes of warming up, your fine.

I also found it funny, trying out FE3 the other day. I wanted to put it on my CS...but my dad said you wouldnt feel it. Well, I drove a 98 Regal with the Grand Touring package (i just guess a glorifed name for fe3)....and man what a difference. WHile I can push it a tad harder than my CS into a tun, it feels beter over all.

In my search for a new car, i did look quickly at a LTZ. I dont know though...no matter what you put on tthe 1.5 luminas...i still dont like the looks.

Hell, I guess now I know my next car will atleast have the 3.8!

jon

It's funny, when I go back and forth between my wife's 92 Euro Sedan 3.4 and my Ragtop, the Lumina is definitely more ballsy.

However, the Ragtop has a softer ride and smoother shifts.

We raced them out on US422 one night coming home and hers was definitely quicker.

I think we're gonna be selling her car soon, she's tired of it and wants a Cutty Ragtop! Red, naturally.

god tell me about it! I want one bad, but I can't afford it. I've pretty much decided after all the money I've put in my cutty, that I'm keepin it. That amount is over $1500. Cause I want a '95 (red, white, or black) cvt b/c of the dual abs. I dunno I like knowin my passenger has one too. It also has the newer interior.

the 3.1 making that noise is not piston slap, just rockers, unless it is doing it non stop. IF it stops after a few minutes of warming up, your fine.

It does go away after the engine warms up.

nice pick up, but you should have bought a cutty.
luminas (and chevy's) are usu. a bit cheaper for the same year.

I was looking for either a Grand Prix or Cutlass; I like those best. I decided on a 4-door so that it would be easier to get the kids in & out and so that the wife wouldn't mind driving it if her Venture was ever in the shop. Both of those cars seem to go for more than other W-body's. I watched eBay for about 3 months seeing older Grand Prixs & Cutlasses with more miles go for more than what I got the Lumina for. I did see, too, a couple exceptions that looked like good deals, but none were within driving distance.

I've had my 91 Regal for seven years and never heard anything like a piston slap or rocker tick. Must be a Wednesday motor. Wish they could have been Wednesday rear calipers.

Also I believe the Regal has a better resale value than all ya'll. Not counting 3.4's and TPG's.

Sorry, I'm just really bored these days cause nothing is going wrong with the car.

I do need a new center console lid cover.

Hey, the Intrepid has an intermitent check engine light!!!!!! Oh well....I'm not on a board for that car....just need it to keep running for the wife.

I was looking for a new car to replace my Cutlass with and came home with a 94' Formula. For some strange reason the Formula made me like my Cutlass more then ever and dont have any plans in the near future to get rid of it.

hey not bad for 1500. how many miles are on it. my dad had a 95 LS. there was defenitly that noise, although it started around 90k or so miles. he traded it in with 105k. car rode nice and was quiet. now he has a 98 lesabre with the series 2 3800