Functional hood scoop idea

conley3.1

I just thought up an idea for a hood scoop, a functional one.

1. Somehow fabricate/make a small, subtle scoop out of thin sheet metal, with a rim along the bottom. Drill holes in the rim to attach the scoop to the hood with.

2. Cut a template from paper, and place it in the desired area on the hood. Tape it to the hood. Make sure you draw drilling spots on the template in the right places.

3. Use some kind of power tool to cut the hole out of the hood, and the sand it.

4. Place the scoop under the hood, and position it into place. Use bolts and washers to bolt the scoop up to the hood.

Don't take these as instructions, either. I was just expressing my idea that way, heh... I want to try and make a scoop like that someday. The hard part would be to make the scoop, and how to route air to the airbox. You could always put the scoop right over the airbox area, but that would probably be very very ugly. So, i was thinking of just using the scoop as an added source of cooling, which of course isn't nearly as cool as actually hooking it up to the intake.

Does anyone have any ideas to add to this?

BTW, sorry if this threads been beaten to death already.

Heh :) It would probably be a good idea to try and design your scoop so it doesn't cut through too many of the hood cross-beam thingies, though. I was thinking maybe i could just weld together a hood scoop at school or something. Hmm... It would be a very boxy air scoop, wouldn't really look subtle, but oh well.

Man... that CRX with the Corvette taillight conversoin is hideous!!!

I don't know if those scoops are what i'm looking for... My uncle is a bodyman down in phoenix, though, so i could get it done cheaply :)

i don't really think a hood scoop to the side, over the airbox area would be ugly. at least it would be functional. i see a bunch of small older chrysler cars with a bulge on one side of the hood and it doesn't look too bad