Top engine clean, I love you!

Rob95CS

Normally don't express my love for carbon build-up removal products, but I bought and used a bottle of Sea Foam in my intake today. My God, it feels like I've got another 20 horses under my hood! Car seems to have quieted down a bit too. I LOVE THIS STUFF!! My car actually scared the shit out of me today for the first time in months. I haven't hit the speed limiter since this summer! Thanks for listening :D :D :D

i recently used Amsoil Engine cleaner when i changed over my car from conventional to amsoil synthetic 0w-30 Series 2000 Racing Oil & a K&N drop in. So, I'm not sure how well theirs works either. I did get a performance increase, but you know why (K&N plus high performance oil). However, I used fuel injector cleaner about every 2,000mi and i frequently use fuel supplements (ie octane boosters, and fuel savers). Both of those have some of the same ingredients as fuel injector cleaner. So i dunno, i wouldn't hesistate to say my engine is cleaner than most. But a clean fuel system is necessary for performance.

I still think most of the additives out there are a waste of money. The general public go in and see 'Uncle Bobs Magic Liquid - Pour a NEW engine into your car!' and think its going to perform miracles. So they dump this stuff in, take off out of the parking lot, and immediatly feel 60 more horses they never had before! I guess I don't believe the crap out there unless its proven to me that they work.

I use Seafoam Motor Tune-Up. GM Top End Cleaner and Seafoam helps remove carbon buildup. I use Seafoam so I can cover everything from Fuel (fuel injector cleaning), Intake (Plenum, pistons, etc), Crankcase.

If your pistons, fuel injectors are shot then this cleaner will not help your car at all. If you have a leaking gasket then this cleaner will not help at all. This is only to remove carbon build up that will cause scratches in piston walls, clogged up oil pump and minimize oil pressure and thereby causes premature mechanical failure because of oil starvation. Those knocking noise in the engine are sure one sign of it.

i know the amsoil stuff my dad bought that he and i both use (engine cleaner) cleans both the internal parts of your engine to rid it of buildups of sorts, and it also cleans the fuel system.

Seafoam I have used before. I have put in gas and crankcase but havent tried the vacuum route yet. I hear it works wonders, and if it works like GM Top engine cleaner, then i will pay $4 for the seafoam instead of $40 for the GM stuff.

Seafoam I have used before. I have put in gas and crankcase but havent tried the vacuum route yet. I hear it works wonders, and if it works like GM Top engine cleaner, then i will pay $4 for the seafoam instead of $40 for the GM stuff.

Anything with a GM label on you'll pay insane amounts for.

I bet you liked all that white smoke coming out the muffler, when i used it all that smoke went into the street it was so funny watching all the cars pass by like wtf, anyway the sea foam got rid of that annoying tapping noise, so all in all i would say it works, only cost me $4.35

where the hell are you buying GM Top Engine Cleaner for $40???? shit...i paid $5 for mine at the dealership.

8 Years ago, I have my car cleared of carbon from an autoshop. Not knowing about car repairs, the bill was $200+.

I was thinking to myself and wanted to know how they clear the carbon of an engine aside from taking the engine apart and cleaning it. Information was hard to come by.

I then came across the keyword "Top End Cleaner" on this forum. I've searched other forums and I was surprised that many folks does know what "Top End Cleaner" is. I myself did not know what "Top End Cleaner" is until I read what it is and what they use to clean.

They mention the GM "Top End Cleaner" and it's like an ancient chinese secret of some sort :)

We have a ford truck and some of ford forum members even consider buying the GM stuff to clean their carbon.

I then came across Seafoam stuff. I went to Autozone, Advance Autoparts and asked for "Top End Cleaner" and they were like :confused: and did not know what I was talking about and I have to explain it.

Finally, I called Napa and I was surprised that they know exactly I was looking for and they have it all of their smaller Napa stores and have been selling it for a long time.

One thing I like the Seafoam is that it can be used for Diesel engines as well as Gasoline engines, O2 and catalytic converter safe. It is even used for any engines that will be stored for a long time.

If the GM "Top End Cleaner" can be used for the Diesel then it would be great as well. Top End Cleaner stuff has been debated many times on other forums and it just a matter of using it and findng it out for yourself.

where the hell are you buying GM Top Engine Cleaner for $40???? shit...i paid $5 for mine at the dealership.

Personally, i have never bought it, but there was a thread about it a few monthes back with people saying how great it was but how expensive it was. Mentioning $40 or so for purchasing it from the dealer.

GM Top Engine cleaner and the like are all usefull and it definatly works. It is not a cure all however. If you have more than 50k on your engine and your due for an oil change its a perfect time to do it.

Doing this may reduce knocking, lifter tick, clogged vavles and better oil flow.

Many of the members of MyMonte.com have done this and all report an increase in gas mileage, running smoother and a mild preformance gain.

It seems that the best results are found putting the cleaner through the brake booster line.

ok so what exactly is the procedure on this stuff? Do you add it in with the oil or waht do you do with it? As far as cleaning the fuel system i was very impressed with the BR 44k cleaner i used a few months ago, however my car is once again running sluggish and is in need of some help. I wish i had time and another car available to tear the top off the motor and clean everything but i dont so if any of this REALLY works and isnt just the typical "I thinks its runnin' better" reaction then i might want to try it. one thing i didnt get though is a few months ago i tried the throttle-body/intake cleaner that everybody was ravin about and it didnt do jack shit so i get sceptical about these things.

Seafoam can be added anywhere pretty much on your car. Look at the can and it says every place it can be used and how much and how to use it. Gas tank, Crankcase, vacum, and i have heard of using it to clean out the cooling system. Never tried that one though. It has a wide variety of uses and has instructions on the can.

I used the GM Top Engine cleaner before, I learned you should have a spare set of spark plugs to do this with or before a spark plug change. It made my spark plugs crusted with this black gunk and made it run kind of crummy. So I don't advise doing it on your good old NGKs or expensive plugs! :)