KRH20

First of all, I dont know what family that the Olds Aurora is in (G, W, etc.) but I'm thinkin about trading in my 94 Cutlass Conv. 3.4 because of the problems I keep seein that people say are liable to happen with them.

Does anyone have any info I should know before committing to this car possibly: http://www.iwannacar.com/auto/details.php?id=228#

As much as I dislike the 3.4, it honestly isn't that horrible engine so many people make it out to me. If you have the knowledge and the patience, it's easy to keep on the road. I ditched mine because I didn't have the time, cash, or knowledge to keep it going.. but if you have those things, hang on to 'er.

As far as the Aurora, I know the earlier models, like the '95 you are looking at, aren't the best. The few people I've talked to that have owned the earlier models have HATED them.. most with a passion. Do realize though, that they don't represent the masses. Check out http://autos.msn.com/research/userreviews/reviewlist.aspx?ModelID=2296&search=MostRecent&num=50&trim=All&lang=All and see what people have to say.

Your input is highly appreciated, I guess you could say I kinda panicked when reading some of the statements I have on this board about the 3.4...I do notice that there arent a lot of 95 or older Auroras on the road now that you say that, so I'll stand pat and hold tight to this Convertible. Thanks again for your input.

Your input is highly appreciated, I guess you could say I kinda panicked when reading some of the statements I have on this board about the 3.4...I do notice that there arent a lot of 95 or older Auroras on the road now that you say that, so I'll stand pat and hold tight to this Convertible. Thanks again for your input.

Yeah a lot of people don't like them. I had one and it was just a huge expense for me. Like I said before.. if ya got the knowledge to keep it going, she'll treat you just fine. I got rid of mine because it was just too expensive to have anybody fix it. Labor is usually intensive on them.. but you do it yourself, you save lots of money. I didn't have the knowledge to work on them, and I ran out of cash fast paying shops to fix it, so I had to let it go. I'll never buy one again.. but thats just me.. I still don't know how to work on them, and I don't intend on learning.

Sadly I have a feeling I may end up typing those same words years from now(...I hope never but years at the least...) but if I get this thing the way I want it (switch the White exterior and maroon interior to possibly metallic silver ext./ keep int. maroon or dark green ext/ tan int.) I may just break down (bad pun) and learn. My issues would be similar to yours, time and money are nowhere near the abundance everyone would like, I'll just have to baby this classic.

I like the Aurora and hope to have one one day. Most likely will replace the LSS in about 2-3 more years. Gen II Aurora (for wife) most likely. I may replace the Regal with a Gen I.

95 was the first year for Aurora, it replaced the Toronado but was a four door which the Toro was never. It was cousin to the Riviera but different power plant. Now other less deserving brands and models have taken over that platform and the Riv and Toro/Aurora are history. Word is 96's had some of the initial problems ironed out. Most complainers were finicky original purchasers who are well - finicky, but then when your spending 30,000+ you have the right to have your expectations met.

If money is your concern the Aurora may not be the car for you either. I'd take care of that rare car you have. Resale is most likely poor on it anyhow. Resale on an Aurora or any Olds is now for that matter. Thank you very much Mr. Wagner.

2 months ago i bought myself a 2002 AUrora 4.0 and love it, i havent driven a car that is so cool looking inside and unique and i drove a lot of luxury cars and AUrora is different in every way they all imports. I get comments on my car almost every day and i hear how nice it is, what kind of a car this is or i didnt know you drive a lexus or "wow oldsmobile makes beautiful cars"

When it comes to 95-99 body style i like them too just i dont like the ones with blue interior its FUGLY and interior looks cheaper then newer one but its still i very nice car and if i couldnt afford new one or didnt want to spend much money i would go for 95-99

Good luck and i used to have a 94 CS convertible too.

Many extremely expensive problems are common in Aurora as well.

One very common problem is the engine block can leak oil since it's a 2-piece block, the gasket between the 2 halves of the engine block need to be replaced.

Obviously, you will have to remove and completely dismantle the engine to replace that gasket. Lots of $$$$$$$.

a aurora is just like a caddy, smoth, quiet, powerfull, but can be expencive on yur wallet, my dad had one and I have done all the up keep on that, the water pumps are not a bitch, Id rather do one of those than a water pump on a honda.. parts are going to be about as expencive as the 3.4's are, and things are very tight in the motor compartment... but they are very nice cars, there as smooth as a land barge, but still handle well,

if U realy want a new car, and can deal with there size, I would defenatly get a aurora if I was U....

later

joe

BTW, there a G body...

Well I had a Honda Accord, and sure there are possible problems, but noone vehemently or strongly stood against its engine. My thoughts are not from reading one or two posts, there from multiple posts that I have read that are in the archive, little articles elsewhere, and also by looking at my bank account...so believe it.

the 3.4's are just like any engine, if you take care of them like you should the WILL be pretty damn reliable.....the issues come up because people abuse the $hit out of them....

I dont even really want that Aurora, I just was boujncing the idea off of people on here. I'm really not too worried because I dont abuse my engine, I just figured from reading over all these "testomonials" over the past few months that all of those individual couldnt have mistreated their engines. But, I want to stress that I'm not going to give up on this car, its too rare to do such a thing, and I do take excellent care of my car, although I still ahve a heavy foot, so I appreciate all feedback!

Actually, a lot of expensive 3.4 problems are due to natural aging and not abuse. The oil pump drive O-ring and intake gaskets for instance.

If you can fix these things yourself, it doesn't cost much.

I had to do a lot of work to my convertible when I first got it, but once I got everything taken care of, it's been pretty reliable.