Help! fuel gauge ills

ThunderBat

it seems my Lummie taught me a hard lesson this morning...I pulled out onto Rt10 and made my usual scoot up to 60mph or so only to be welcomed by sputtering and loss of power...followed closely by just cutting off. I had just been thinking how long it seemed the fuel gauge had been reading just under 1/4 of a tank. I sat for a moment and after a couple of trys the engine restarted. I went directly to the gas station and filled up...it sucked up $23.26 @ $1.39 a gallon (this had to be close to bone dry I'm thinking)...after filling up I then noticed as I was pulling away that the fuel gauge had not moved. I have about an 11 mile commute to work...finally at about 2miles from my house, I went around a corner and the gauge shot over past full. So, at this point I have no reason to trust this gauge for anykind of reading...does this sound familiar to anyone out there?...like a similar experience...any info on your problem/fix will be most welcome!

thanx guys 8)

Ah the fuel ummmmm guesser? You can't call it a gauge lol. Well as far as I know there is no fix. I just live with mine. Even the manual says the gauge will go up and down during driving hehe. Mine stays under E for 3 days of driving before it's time to fill up. My system involves 10.00 of gas when I buy cigs for my g/f. So far it works hehe.

well hell...I guess I have to GM points for hi-tech accurate equipment :lol: Is this just reserved for the Luminas of do all the w-body suffer from this brainstorm of engineering?

Ah, you must own a gm ______ (place your gm car with shitting gas gauge here)

I get 172 miles on the first half a tank, 62 miles the last half.

You can try a lucas fuel system lubricator which might actually free up the in tank float, or might not do anything at all.

-Jeff

the problem is pretty much generic to ALL GMs. Even my dads 99 Seville STS had the same thing with the fuel gauge that really doesnt tell you anything. But it had the computer that beeped at you when you were almost out and wouldnt let you floor it either when the gas was low.

- Justin

Mine is always a couple of gallons off. I just don't like letting it get below a 1/4 cuz then the car starts hesitating and sputtering because my fuel pump doesn't pick up all of the gas in the tank on corners and hills.

well with my gas gauge it moves fine and all but with the d.i.c installed it registered using 10 gallons of gas and i am at half tank and i kno the tank is a 16 gallon so i am like woah gonna need some gas lol

but mine is gettin some shitty gas mileage like 13.5 mpg city and like 23 highway so i am not sure i have changed plugs, wires, injectors, o2 sensor , throttle postion sensor, i.a.c, coil packs, fuel filter, so i am now out of ideas pretty much the car is drivin me nuts i think the cat is clogged maybe