Steering wheel control adapter

IL_pilot

Anyone ever install one of those steering wheel control adapters (PAC SWI-X) in a Regal? The instructions say to splice into the green wire to get the signal from the remote.

I found a green wire at the radio control and display head's harness, but I don't thing that's the correct green wire. Anyone know how to get at the harness at the base of the steering column?

Thanks,

Mike

I've never actually done it, but it sounds to me that the green wire you found is for a rear speaker. If there is another, almost identical, green wire with a black stripe on it then those two wires are for the back left speaker. try finding the wire in the steering column or just at the base of it, it's probably thinner than the speaker wires.

I hope that helps a bit. Good luck

Thanks, I finally got it to work. Turns out I had the right wire, the solid green data wire. But the wrong harness. I spliced into the wire where it would go from the control head to the tuner, I needed the harness that goes from the steeringwheel to the control head.

Now for trying to find a place to mount the IR transmitter. Darned bench seats don't leave a center console to mount it in. In fact, I can't really think of a place to mount the thing...

• 3 weeks later...

What adapter are you guys talking about? Can I get my steering wheel controls to work with other stereos? Is there a website or vendor site for this product? I'd be interested in looking at one.

Thanks

If your stereo has a remote, chances are you can. The hardest part was finding a place to mount the IR transmitter, bench seats don't leave a lot of options.

The product is made by PAC (Pacific Accessory Corp) and is called the SWI-X. You can find it on Crutchfield, Buy.com, and a few other sites. You splice it into the steering wheel control harness, and it "learns" codes from your factory remote. Then you have to mount the IR transmitter in view of the stereo.

Mine works pretty well. It's just nice to be able to use the factory steering wheel controls again.

I mounted the IR in the black plastic bezel piece that goes around the stereo. I driiled the hole dead center on the top facinging downward towards the stereo. works great. I have a console but i didn't want mount it there.