buying salvageable cars

GPdriver1986

Theres a guy here in my city that sells wrecks that can still be repaired. He's selling j-bodies and n-bodies, sometimes w-bodies for cheap. If a j-car was involved in an accident where the bumper,lights and the hood was crushed would there be frame damage? I can see why the hood would be damaged because on j-cars the hood goes down low.

Sometimes if the radiator support is bent they consider it frame damaged. What's important is that it doesn't say "SALVAGE" on the title. If it does you will have a very hard time sellig it. even with photos people will think It's garbage and it will never be worth anything. And if your on this site then your into cars. So if you put money into it like stereos and rims and just making it mint there will be no resale or insurance value. I'm not saying don't do it i'm just saying BE CAREFUL with what you buy. make sure it's dirt cheap and don't fall in love with it because once a $10 whore always a $10 whore.

P.S. there is nothing wrong with whores.

I bought my Olds as a salvage vehicle. It had lightly rolled but messed up all 4 doors, the hood, both fenders, the roof, windshield and right front suspension. I bought it off my friend's dad and he got it at a salvage auction.

All these guys that sell rebuilable wrecks buy them at auctions and sell them for alot more than they paid without doing anything to them.

My friend and his dad buy them to fix at their body shop and sell. Theyre helping me with my Olds. They dont have much trouble selling cars with salvage titles honestly, but they sell them alot cheaper than a car with a clean title even though some of these cars are nicer than ones with clean titles.

You might need to have the car examined by the state before you can get a title (usually branded rebuilt/salvage). Thats how it is here in NY. Im still waiting for the paperwork I put in around October 15th to come back with an inspection appointment.

All these cars have damage that would cost too much to be worth fixing so the insurance companies total them. Alot of the time they need unibody straightening. Mine didnt though.

Lucklily I was able to get a parts car at the auction that was hit in the rear and had all the parts I needed.

These cars usually arent worth fixing if you need to pay somebody to fix them.

Small cars like Cavaliers bend easily so sometimes theres more damage from a light hit than you'd think.

One time my friend bought a Cavalier with a clean title at an auction and thought it just needed a hood. He bought a new hood and put it on and then realized that the front end was swayed over 1.5".

well this guy sells stuff that actually looks quite decent. He also buys some of the parts for you with the price. I would want a car like that but I would have to make sure I could certify it.

well this guy sells stuff that actually looks quite decent. He also buys some of the parts for you with the price. I would want a car like that but I would have to make sure I could certify it.

Yeah it looks decent but he's definately making more than he paid for the cars. Ive seen places like that around here.

Heres an example of something he is selling,

Its a 1995 Cavalier Convertible LS loaded ,runs good, top is new, the damage is sorta on the right side, it needs a hood, windshield, airbags (he gives new ones with the car), and a front bumper, the hood isn't crushed its just has a big dent in it but it closes and opens normally. He wants 3000$ (CAN) for this.

396539_15_full.jpg

396539_16_full.jpg

I was looking a few weeks ago, he has a 2002 yellow Sunfire GT for 2000$ it needs a new front bumper and its scraped all the way on the right side. Like it was dragged against a wall.

He also has a 2001 Cavy Z24 (very nice) for 4500$ its all complete, he put a new hood and bumper on it, and has left all the parts (lights and airbags) inside the car, so all you need to do is put it together. I really want this one but I can't afford it right now.

Yes I understand they are trying to make some money, but in the meantime I don't have a license to buy wrecked cars from auctions so I guess I have to buy from him, I can get a pretty good deal if its all right with the frame and all. I know a friend who buys wrecked cavys and he gets them certified no problem.

I know I have connections, but those cars normally go for $1400 or less at auctions. Usually Cavaliers are between $250 and $750. Same with '95-'99 Neons except theyre usually on the cheaper side of that range.

Ya I know , I'm sure I could give him a decent offer and he would take it, he'd rather take off 1000$ then not sell the car at all. even for 2000-3000$ its an awesome car to have instead of paying outrageous prices at a dealer. I'm gonna ask my friend if he can take me to an auction , so maybe I could buy one there.

all I can say is WAIT! I waited like 4 months b4 buying my 97 sunfire. 120 km, 3500 bucks on the road, new front brakes, runs awesome! no body damage didn't need to be fixed up at all. I'm in ottawa so thats 3500 cdn$ so I'd say you're gettin raped if you pay anymore than $1500-$2000 on a car u need to do work on!! Just my 2 cents!

Listen, I'm a used car dealer and see these cars at auction all the time. There is nothing wrong with buying a salvaged car as long as you realize what your getting. These cars are badged "salvage" because they are not safe for the road in the condition they are. They do this for a reason, don't think your going to slap on a few body panel and paint to make them pass inspection and be road ready. There are very strict rules to get a car back on the road from being salvaged.

Also understand, Yes, you are buying the car cheaper. And yes, they are making money on selling the car, that's there business. Getting a dealer license to do this doesn't come for free. If you do everything to get this car road ready, pass inspection, drive it for a few years, when you are ready to sell this car it is worht exactly HALF of TRADE-IN VALUE. That means the 95 CAV your looking at, right now is worth about $4,000 in mint cond. Salvage Title....opps $2,000. Also, most reputable major dealerships won't touch a salvage trade in. It's just not worth the headache. Hope this info helps in your desicion.