From the Fiero forum (about the 3800 II)

Intlcutlass

I love the old pushrod engines that gm produced and are still making. I tell ya I think the other car companys are making a mistake almost challenging GM to make more dohc engines. We seen what they got out of the 3.4V6 now what are they going to do when GM smacks a dohc 5.7 v8 down on them or a dohc 3800 s/c V6 on them. I say let the next generation muscle car revolution begin. :D

Good article!! Sorry to tell the author, but about 90% of drivers dont care what is under the hood, as long as it does what they want it to do. GM has the pushrod engines down pat!! I mean, I"ve seen well maintained 3800's in the 300k mile range, running like a champ and not burning any oil at all!!! How many other companies can claim that on their p-rod designs.

Btw, I'm not a huge GM fan by any means. I'm a big Toyota guy actually(just a huge w-body fan). So the opinion I provide is coming from a biased person, but biased towards the other manufacturers. It just shows that there is a lot of proof stacking up for GM that they are the kings of the p-rod engines.

as great as OHC engines are (and I do love the music they make at high revs) there is a lot to be said for the design of a pushrod engine. Look at the beast residing amidships in the Saleen S7. Steve Saleen chose a pushrod engine for durability and the ability to crank great gobs of torque in a smaller package. The GenIII SBC in the Corvette is another fine example for the same reasons. For all the benefits of OHC multi-valve engines you almost have to be racing. For a rock solid dependable street performer, the pushrod motor is hard to beat.