cutty conv

ThunderBat

I know I just got here and I know I just got the Lummie, so why oh why am I asking this???...cuz I'm a car nut with an over active imagination! are you with me??!!! :D ...anyways, I've wanted a WS6 Trans Am for the longest kinda time but the back seats in those cars just plain suck (not to mention what they do for your insurance premium!)...I have to admit the more I keep looking around on this site, the more that Cutty ragtop is calling out to me. ( I just love that "roll bar" look w/the top down!)...and those quad bucket seats are way cool...I did an AutoTrader search and there are quite a few within 100miles of here...If I were to go check a couple of these out, are there some glaring things I need to look for?...some things that might be problem areas for this particular car? oh and btw, do they have glass back windows or plastic?...any info from you dedicated convert owners would be much appreciated.

thanx in advance!

....and if the first response I get to this is "put a sunroof in your Lummie and be happy" then I'll know I need to bury this idea before it takes root!

trust me, no one here should to tell you to keep a lumina over a cutty.....

The rear window is indeed glass. If you look at one with the 3.4, check for the following: Oil leakage under the throttle body (oil pump drive seal-known to leak badly and very costly to fix properly); check the timing belt (pop off inspection cover on left front-also usually about 5 or 6 bills to have replaced); last time the alternator was replaced (another high expense problem, usually about 3 or 4 bills to get done).

Or, just look for one with the 3.1 motor-not as powerful, but less costly to repair when it breaks.

Good luck with your search-my wife and I love our Cutty ragtop.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE TIMING BELT! I can't stress that enough. It's a very serious but common problem. You should go for the 3100 8) Your insurance would also be less with the smaller engine. :D

Another thing to check out is that all the strut bars are on the car. It's not a mjaor major thing, but it helps in the handling area. Also inspect the pump and lift mechanism of it so you wont be disappointed until you get the cash to actually have a working convertible. These are not as important as most of the things these other guys have suggested, but its something I hope helps.

All that engine stuff is on any 3.4 convertible or coupe. Once you get past the mechanical stuff take a good look at the top. Does it look or feel dry. is the stiching comming apart? Check where it meets the bottom of the back window. the seal between the material and glass loosens up and it leaks. I ran a beed of silicone across it because mine was leaking. Check the weather stripping around the doors. right about the middle of the front doors there is a seam. make sure it's tight. at this age they shrink and there is a large gap causing another leak. again all these can be fixed. and depending on the price of the car you may not mind doing some repairs or having a new top installed. Make sure it goes up and down straight. If the motor and tranny are good and the body looks good go for it. I get alot of compliments driving mine. Alot of people don't even know they exist.

take it easy there BullDog...my daughter came home for a short visit and took one look at my Lumina and started panting...for starters,its her favorite car color (dark silver)...she loves the dual exhaust (thats my girl!) and the fact it has a CD player...and oh yeah, its a two-door! She leaves me with the distinct impression that it won't be too long be fore she's gonna be buggin' me to part company with it (and if she gets her money chit straight that could happen) both my kids dig the idea of buying their used cars from me (cuz they know I fix 'em I guess)...that's cool tho, cuz one day my dreamboat is gonna come along and they won't get that one for love or money! (I guess I'll know which one that is when I run across it) Don't get me wrong, I'll have no problem living with the Lummie and makin it "my ride" but its not the car I've dreamed of owning either (but geez, I dream of SO many...this could be a problem!)...anyways, what ever it winds up being, it'll have an opening / removeable/ see-thru top of some kind!

The entire board in general hates on Luminas, calling them grandma cars or parts cars, not just this thread. It seems like the only 1's that dont hate on them are the owners. Eh just venting cuz I'm infatuated with my Zoomina.

The entire board in general hates on Luminas, calling them grandma cars or parts cars, not just this thread. It seems like the only 1's that dont hate on them are the owners. Eh just venting cuz I'm infatuated with my Zoomina.

To be honest, I hated them until I owned one. I love 'em now. I kinda wish I would have hung onto my old one.. or try find a low milage one again.

When I was looking for a Cutlass Ragtop, the 2 most important things I wanted were the 3.1L (less maintenance and great reliabillity) and I also wanted the rear bench over the buckets. That way I have a true 5-passenger convertible.

werd.gifI have to agree with you. Owning a Lumina here makes you feel like the red-headed stepchild sometimes.

But I do really love my Lumina. Most people who actually OWN them do love them.

My one advice to anyone thinking about a Lumina, is to look into the Euro's. They are the sports car version, and IMHO, the best looking Luminas out there. Still they all are good cars.

My Lumina has 153,000 miles, still going strong, and does not use a drop of oil. :P She really is fun to take for a drive. She is solid black with a grey interrior, and will still turn heads.

My two cents and show of support for the Lumina drivers on the board.