Glove compartment problem

KRH20

Is there a way to get my glove compartment open without tearing the door off the hinges? I mean the knob fell straight out of my 94 CS Convert. without explanation or mishandling???

Anyone dealt with a problem similar to this before??

Thanks in advance!

What style opening is it? Is it the kind with the knob that you turn to the right and the lid pops up? If it is, I imagine you can just use a small screwdriver, and turn it regualrly.

If it is the pinch and drop variety, get a flat screwdriver and pull the whole lock mechanism down. You might have to carve a notch for it, but once you do, it should just slide down and open.

Hope it helps. -Ben

if that doesnt work, id go to the junkyard and get a new latching mechanism (just the latch, shouldnt be more than like 5 bucks at a decent yard, your probably gonna have to get a new one anyway since this one broke) and use a drill and get the smalles bits you can find and drill 2 holes in it right net to each other, not overlapping but, drill the 2 holes with enough space between them so you could drill another hole in between them, but yeah drill the 2 holes and then unbend a paperclip and stick each end into each of the holes and then turn it, once you have it off replace the latch. i havent looked but if there isn t enough room for 2 holes, drill 1 hole at an angle and then stick the paperclip end into it and turn, hopefully the screwdriver thing works out for ya, if not, i hope this works out for ya instead, id get that open right away because im guessing you have your proof of insurance in there and if you got pulled over by a cop and he asks for registration and you tell him your glovebox is broken, you might be there a while

Thanks phantom, luckily it happened only weeks before I got my insurance for the car (I purchased the car in August) so this is more an attempt to have it as a luxury more than a necessity. I'll take a try at what you listed phantom, since the screwdriver thing was as close to success as I could get so far, and go from there.

Great idea for the large compartment in between the front seats as well as the nice sized one in the back, ingenious!