Newbie Questions 96 Cutlass Supreme SL 3.1

VaCutty96

Just bought my first W body. I love this car already and find this site to be an awesome resource for enthusiasts....

Right out of the chute, I need your advice re changing fluids and general maintenance items. Which areas should I focus on first?

I think one of the front wheel bearings (awfullly noisy) needs attention. Is a wheel bearing R&R difficult in a 96?

I note my low coolant level comes on and goes off as I drive. Any suggestions before I replace the sensor?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Right out of the chute, I need your advice re changing fluids and general maintenance items. Which areas should I focus on first?

Welcome aboard! With new used cars, change everything regardless of what the previous owner told you.

Creating a baseline of preventive maintenance will take care of over 75% of all problems with the car.

That includes: engine oil, tranny fluid, coolant / hoses, spark plugs / wires, etc.

I note my low coolant level comes on and goes off as I drive. Any suggestions before I replace the sensor?

I assuming you've check the level correct? Not low, correct?

If the coolant system is up to level, the coolant level sensor could be gunked up with deposits.

It's located on the radiator; remove it, gentley clean the gunk off and re-install.

Usually that's the issue with the 'low coolant' light coming on. Best of luck!

- Erik

Welcome dude '94 here with the 3100 engine you've got under your hood. I'm up in MD in Gaithersburg. Maybe I'll cya on the road sometime 8)

Shit my aunt used to live in gaithersburg and i used to go there every year. exit 11 off 270 north

Welcome to the board VACutty. On your coolent problem did you try to see if there was any air in your radiator alot of times people think their full of water and they have air in their system. If thats the case you have to bleed the air out . I think the 3100s have the bleeder valve like the 3.1s. It should be on top of your thermostat housing. Just open the bleeder valve up after the cars warmed up and the thermostat has opened. Leave the valve open till only water comes out and no air and close the valve back. The 3100s are a pain in the butt to get to the thermostat housing.

well, wow yall...va cutty is prob a mile away from me.

I also had a low coolant light not to long ago. It happend to be actually low on coolant...bad pump. I still had a slight leak (i think), but seems to go away now since i wiped everything down.

Also, if you see a MEd. Geen Metalic sedan (the one in the sig....) thats me! (well, the one with the for sale sign in the window!)

jon

• 3 weeks later...

the bearing is replaced as such:

remove the axles nut-either a 32mm or 36 mm-cant remember

push the axle back in a bit

there are three bolts(15mm) holding it to the knuckle, remove them

hit the spindle with a hammer and its out.

if it has abs just un plug the harness before doin all that