New Used Car?

SiRLumina

OK, so I have a 93 Chevy lumina 3.1 MFI handmedown from my sister who got a 93 regal in better condition. This car's engine has given me some problems in the past, mostly age/accident issues tho, like a bad O2 sensor, bad spark plug wires, bad radiator (from accident), bad fuel pump. Anyway, I'm about 10 miles away from 160,000 now, the front rotors warped from my trip from gainesville to Miami for this X-Mas break, the suspension sqeaks, the exhaust sounds horrible (I suppose from a hole), and the inteior squeaks from the shitty install on the system I put in. Oh and it gets like 15 mpg in the city and like 20 on the highway I guess. Kinda sucks throwing down $23 every 200 mile or so.

Anyway, my dad said a guy at his work has a '99 Buick Century that they need to sell ASAP for $4,000 because the driver is like 87 now and he can't drive it anymore and they need to sell it before it is taken or something. Anyway, it has 33,000 miles on it and my dad says it's in good condition. Does this seem like a good deal? From what I can see it is a steal. Any input? I like the looks of the car too, cuz hell, anything looks better than my Lumina (in its condition....I like the look of a lot of Luminas I have seen done up a lot).

Anyway, my dad said a guy at his work has a '99 Buick Century that they need to sell ASAP for $4,000 because the driver is like 87 now and he can't drive it anymore and they need to sell it before it is taken or something. Anyway, it has 33,000 miles on it and my dad says it's in good condition. Does this seem like a good deal? From what I can see it is a steal. Any input? I like the looks of the car too, cuz hell, anything looks better than my Lumina (in its condition....I like the look of a lot of Luminas I have seen done up a lot).

Well, if you look at the numbers through KBB.com, that car goes for $6,905 in excellent condition with no options.

Agreed, it is a steal! Teferius has a good point, you could clean it up and sell it to gain off the deal.

Or, looks like you're leaning to keep it for yourself; either choice is acceptable.

OK, so I have a 93 Chevy lumina 3.1 MFI handmedown from my sister who got a 93 regal in better condition. This car's engine has given me some problems in the past, mostly age/accident issues tho, like a bad O2 sensor, bad spark plug wires, bad radiator (from accident), bad fuel pump. Anyway, I'm about 10 miles away from 160,000 now...

Problems? That's just high-mileage maintenace issues in my opinion...

Plugs and wires you have to change, brakes are designed to wear out... it's the nature of things.

Besides the poor gas mileage, what is honestly wrong with the car?

Garanteed you can increase the econ on the car with spending less than $50 tops.

Stick around, we'll help you out! Welcome aboard! :D

- Erik

Well the problem with the car is that if it isn't one thing it another. Problems just keep compounding, and next thing I know it's run us a few grand to fix.

My sister got in a decent front end collision, we fixed that good.

Then I got into a pretty bad front end collision with slight frame damage when someone pulled in front of me at a light. I couldn't stop in time, was unexperienced and slammed on the brakes and just slid all the way (my other problem, crappy brakes, no ABS, and no airbag, tho if the airbag went off things would have just been much much more complicated and unneccesary) into the guy. Cost us a few grand to straighten the frame and replace body parts with aftermarket crap and get it painted with cheapo paint.

The car has been a good beater, but I just can't deal with reliability issues and poor mileage while in college, especially since I won't be driving it enough to keep it going well.

Guest TurboSedan
get your sister's car and swap out parts!!!!!!

Get the century, black out all the chrome and put Regal emblems on it. Then Cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regal-Century, same body since 97.

and a Regal nose/front bumper. the Regal looks much nicer with the contoured area around the grille whereas the Century is rather plain. sounds like a great deal; i say go for it :)

joshua