Does anyone here know where...

gmrulz4u

...the Voltmeter for the Cutlass digital cluster dashes gets it's readings from? In other words, where is the connection to the battery for the Voltmeter?

I think mine has a problem because sometimes when it's only 1 bar above 1/4, the actual battery voltage is 13 volts or more!!?? I've checked with my trusty digital Multi-Meter, digital portable voltmeter, and even my AutoXray scanner to verify that what it's showing on my dash cannot be right.

Even the cigarette lighter socket shows more voltage than my dashes voltmeter!

So, I'm assuming there must be some corrosion or something that's hindering the connection to the battery source. Either that or it's loose or something.

Also, AllData states the following:

Voltmeter

To check voltmeter, turn key and headlights on with engine off. Pointer should move to 12.5 volts. If no needle movement is observed, check connections from battery to circuit breaker. If connections are tight and meter shows no movement, check wire continuity. If wire continuity is satisfactory, the meter is inoperative and must be replaced.

When I turn my key to ON, the voltmeter only stays at 1/4 of the way, even though the battery is at or above 12.5 volts!!??

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

THANKS!:)

Ooops...never mind...I just found this on AllData:

VOLTS DISPLAY

The Instrument Cluster receives battery voltage from the incoming power leads- The Instrument Cluster's internal circuitry converts the analog voltage to digital voltage where it is displayed by the Volts Gage. At 10 volts the first bar is illuminated. For every half volt above 10 volts one additional bar is illuminated until the sixteenth bar is illuminated at 17.5 volts.