Door Locks & alarm

95 Cutlass Drop Top

I just recently discovered that my cutty has a Viper 600 alarm and remote starter, when I frist got the car I had no clue it never came with a remote when I got it from the dealer. My door unlocks with the factory keyless remote but does not lock. It also unlocks with the switches on the door but does not lock. What could my problem be??? The alarm is disconnected.

depending on the alarm setup, they may have broken the circuit for the locks for the added security. Many time we would do that at the shop so that if your car was armed and the windows were down, someone coulnt reach in and hit the unlock button.

2 options... you can go to viper and see if you can get a remote and a manual to program the remote (not hard, usually hit the vallet button then hold the remote button for a few seconds).

OR

you can remove the alarm itself, open up your door panel and reconnect the wiring. If you need a wiring diagrams, i think i have them so let me know.

*EDIT* i read it wrong... you said it UNLOCKS, i thaught you said it locks...

it would be a safe bet though that the same still alpplies as far as cutting the wires. Plug in the brain for the alarm and see if it locks and unlocks... make sure to unplug the siren (if the dealership didnt rip it out) while doing this. I would bet that your locks would work just fine (from the switch, not the factory remote) when you plug the alarm in. you will have to unplug the brain box again, however, to start the car as it most likely will have a starter kill in it.

- Justin

not if they still work to lock the doors... i dont see that as being the problem. Did you try plugging in the alarm brain and seeing if that worked???

Otherwise i would bet that it is in the wiring.

ALWAYS check the obvious and cheapest first.

- Justin

• 3 weeks later...

The factory lubricant on the lock linkage probably has dried up, resulting in too much resistance for the actuator to move the linkage..

My car (1995 cutlass) does the same thing on one of the doors. You hear the actuator engage, but the lock position remains the same. I haven't tried fixing it yet, but I had the same exact problem with a Chevy Beretta. Problem was solved when the lock linkage was lubed. This involved removing the interior trim panel on the door to get access.

i had a viper 600 on a honda accord...it just so happened there was a missing fuse under the dash...there should be at leat 2 little white fuse holders in all the wiring...i'd check them first...but if that's not it i dunno...my problem was with the keyless entry too so hopefully i can help

EDIT: oops i should've read more..um my guess goes with kcac on this one...i've seen it happen before on a Chrysler Concorde