1997 Up Brakes

slick

the 1995+ front brakes are bigger and will bolt up. you will need the new knuckle assymboly. the 1994+ rear brakes will also swap over. bigger brakes will allways help. more surface area to dissapte the heat. cooler brakes will stop better allways. ebc makes dimpled and slotted rotors and power slot makes slotted rotors. both keep the brakes cooler and will help you stop better. any 1st gen w-body brake system will be an easy swap.

the 1997+ GP brakes will not swap over. wrong offset on the rotor.

shane

I still have yet to find any GM brakes that please me. The newer GM's brakes are decent.. but as I continue driving the cars and using the brakes, the quality just fades away.. the more miles they have on the system, the shittier they get. Ford brakes I love.. same with most imports.

• 2 weeks later...

No, not exactly.

We have twin piston front calipers, but our rotors are only 1" thick vs. 1.25" thick of the 97+. 97+ have available 12" rotors as well. 97+ brakes aren't the best, but they're an improvement. The additional thickness makes them far less prone to warping.

Hmmm.... Good info to know.

I know this is gonna sound like a dumb question, but would it be possible to use the newer style rotors with my calipers? That way i could get the benefit of dual piston calipers and bigger rotors? I know that i would have to change my bracketry, but that's really no problem.

I don't think so. Not without thinner-than-normal pads. You'd need to grind off about 1/8" off each pad for the caliper to fit over the rotor. You'd definitely need to custom weld some bracketry to the front knuckle because the 97+ rotors have a different offset.

Didnt the GPs from a certain year+ get a larger Brake Booster? If so, which year? I think our problem has to do with the boosters as well not being 'large' enough to allow the pads to bite.

94 was the first year of the bigger brake booster.

Avoid the bigger brake booster if you have a 5-speed car or have even the slightest desire to swap a 5-speed into your car.

Damn. So there is really nothing i could do without spending a few hundred bucks on a new brake system then.

What about off of Bonneville's? How different are there's from ours?

Bro, if you really dont wanna spend much go get yourself some GreenStuff pads or Hawk HP pads with either plain or slotted rotors. Either one of those pads really bite. My dad has the Hawk pads on his '94 Z34 and it sets off the ABS even with slightly glazed front rotors. Tirerack sells them. Whatever you do just stay away from Ceramic if you want stopping performance. I cant even lock the wheels up on my '89 IN THE RAIN!

The easiest way to get bigger brakes on a W-body is to swap in the 96+ knuckles that are designed for 11.25" rotors.

I'm about to do that on my 89, but still gotta wait for UPS to bring me more tools.