overfilling oil

GPdriver1986

I accidently overfilled my oil because my dipstick was showing half way on the checkered area so I bought a liter of oil and put only 3/4 in then I put some of that leak stop in, I put about 250mL. so I drove the car around and then today I finally let some of the oil out. Did I or could I have caused any problems by overfilling the oil?

it is possible to burst some gaskets by over-filling oil but that is much more common on trannys you should be fine the biggest problem it usually creates is lower performance cause the engine internals are running through a puddle of oil and foam it all up - not that big of a deal.

I don't see how over filling could cause any problems. The oil pump can only put out so much pressure. If you filled it to the top of the valve covers :lol: :lol: you could have a problem :shock:

Foaming oil from overfill is not good. There will be less oil covering the bearing surfaces due to the minute air bubbles trapped in the oil.

And foaming tranny fluid is not good either because it causes the fluid to oxidize and changes the chemical composition turning it into varnish and gums over a period of time.

Best not to overfill either one.

won't overfilling actually cause lower oil pressure to the top? And also, oil has additives so that it won't get any air bubbles. I saw a website that showed highly agitated oil and then highly agitated with lucas. BAD, BAD Lucas.

at the sloshing of 4 or 5000 RPMs, the oil doesn't form any bubbles because of additives that prohibit. The Lucas either doesn't have those additives or else deteriorates those. There were so many air bubbles that it had a white tint to it. Run the crap outta your car and then check your oil. How many air bubbles do you see? get some other type of oil and shake it vigorously. the bubbles will stay in that for quite some time.

Overfilling can cause the crank to splash into the crankcase oil. No matter how many additives you put in its going to foam. Also if you live in colder climates, on cold mornings it could cause hard starting because the crank has to cut through all that thick oil.

you should just give the car an oil change just to be safe, it is cheap and easy (kind of like my sister :lol:)....

.when I first bought one of my fieros, it was running light dog $hit sputtering and blowing out blue smoke....first thing I did was change the oil, I drained almost 8 quarts of oil!!!!!!!!!....I refilled it with the correct 4.5 qyarts and the smoke when away and it ran like a dream......I don't know how long it had 8 quarts of oil in it, but no gaskets were blown, but I wouldn't have driven the car more than 10 miles or so in the condition it was in when I bought it....

Just out of curiosity, I checked my oil the other day and it was 1/4 quart low so I put in a 1/4 quart. Then later that day my dad checked my oil and told me it was 1/2 quart low, I told him there was no way it was 1/2 quart low because I had just added some. He put in a 1/2 quart anyways, and then I went out the next day and checked it and sure enough it had 1/2 quart too much oil in it. Is that gonna hurt it any? I still have like 1500 miles until I need to get an oil change, so I really don't wanna do it now.

i dont know if thi is true for our engines or not, since we have oil pumps and whatnot, but if you overfill a briggs and stratton engine, the would will spin around the crank and around the journals and if you have too much oil it will spin and it will constantly be thrown away from the crank and you wont get any oil at all to the journals, and thats a bad thing..

you should just give the car an oil change just to be safe, it is cheap and easy (kind of like my sister :lol:)....

you should give her my number....

hehehe, j/k

overfilling shouldnt cause too much problems as long as you didnt fill it TOO much over... and if you drained some of it fairly soon.

- Justin