j/y Turbo STE - how much should i offer?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

ok so i'm going to try to get a Turbo STE from the j/y (again). i already have the engine from this car sitting in my garage. i tried to buy the whole car about 6 months ago when i bought the engine but the yard decided to part it out instead. i just looked at the car today thru the fence; the j/y was closed but it is still there. the car has no engine or trans, but if i got it the original engine would obviously be going back in. there is also an '88 Grand Prix with a Getrag 282 at another salvage yard near me i could get for cheap. other than that the front bumper is gone, one of the rear door windows is gone, kinda grungy interior, and it has some hail damage. i'll have to wait until Monday to check and see how bad the hail damage is. it also needs paint. here is a pic:

PA210096.JPG

otherwise the car is complete, not wrecked, no rust, and has 111,xxx miles. what should i offer for this thing? if it doesn't come with a clear title i'll just forget it i guess. they wouldn't sell me the entire car before because they were waiting on the title. when they finally got it they decided they would make more money by parting it out. man i really want a Turbo STE! this thing is probably going to get crushed sooner than later.

joshua

Well, if they still refuse to sell it to you, would you be willing to pull some parts for me? I just need a few odd ball things like the driver's side door panel speaker grill, power window/door buttons, etc. Nothing major.

Oh, and I wouldn't offer much more than say $300 or so for it. Especially with the most critical parts already missing.

Guest TurboSedan

well, i already have the complete engine including the radiator, intercooler, downpipe, turbo, etc for it and even if it came with the auto trans i would get rid of it in favor of a 5-speed. but, i don't see myself paying more than $150 anyway. if it doesn't work out i'll try to get parts. i know the instrument cluster and hood vents are still there, along with the parts you wanted.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

well i looked at the j/y STE Turbo today and all i can say is there is no way i'm buying it. it's pretty trashed since the last time i looked at it, and it got bad hail damage in the meantime also.

Hyeboy - it had the window/door switches for both front doors but the plastic around the drivers side switch was cracked up. the passenger side was fine and all the buttons and the switches themselves looked OK. i found two speaker grilles but they looked more like aftermarket grilles (plain black grilles). maybe if you could email me a pic of what they looked like i could get them. they wanted $5 for each grille, not sure about the prices for the window/door switches yet.

other parts i seen were: the front center armrest looked to be in good shape, it had all the buttons for lumbar seat controls etc. the turbo instrument cluster (they already told me $75 for that), and the hood vents. if anyone needs anything in particular just reply here and i'll check on it.

joshua

How much for the DIC?

You do know the DIC in the STE is different then in your car, correct?

What kind of shape is the inside drivers doorhandle in? Mine is broke, if you can get that, let me know.

Does it have HUD? If so, what do they want for that?

Thanks.

Shawn

Wow, sounds like an expensive freaking yard! :shock: The gauge cluster wouldn't run more than $30 bucks here even in the most expensive yards around.

You just reminded me that the armrest/console cover on the front console has a broken latch on mine. If they don't want more than $20 for that, I'll definitely take it. I'll have to take inventory of everything else.

How much for the DIC?

I'm fully aware of that.. It's the whole reason I want the STE DIC. Most of the features won't work, but it's the different look I'm going for.

How much for the DIC?

I'm fully aware of that.. It's the whole reason I want the STE DIC. Most of the features won't work, but it's the different look I'm going for.

Just making sure. If he can't get you one, I have one you could buy for a price, but the price won't be too cheap because I would like to keep the extra just in case.

Shawn

Guest TurboSedan
Wow, sounds like an expensive freaking yard! :shock: The gauge cluster wouldn't run more than $30 bucks here even in the most expensive yards around.

You just reminded me that the armrest/console cover on the front console has a broken latch on mine. If they don't want more than $20 for that, I'll definitely take it. I'll have to take inventory of everything else.

yeah, i thought the price was pretty rediculous myself. kinda surprising actually since they sold me the engine, rad/IC/fans, wiring harness, downpipe, etc. for $350. the car does not have HUD. i'll check on the price of the DIC, doorhandle and the armrest.

joshua