442 Stripes

WhiteOut

Okay, the car has been put away for the winter, and its project time. Chief amon which is adding some flair to the outside one 95' Cutlass Supreme. I'd like to do some 70's style 442 stripes on it but I've been unable to locate anywhere that sells anything other than straight rolls of vinyl. I'm afraid that if I apply a straight stretch of vinyl to a curved surface (i.e the hood or trunk) the lines aren't going to come out straight, but curved, and that would look like hell. Anyone have any experience with doing racing stripes? If I had any skill I'd do a paintshop of what I want to eventually have, but alas I suck.

Any suggestions would be great, oh and painting the stripes on is out of the question as vinyl comes off and paint doesn't should I ever have to sell the car (God forbid).

The straight pieces would end up curving wrong. Around here, there are a few shops where they can make just about anything out of the vinyl stuff. The vinyl goes through a computer operated machine that cuts out the pattern. Look for a shop around your area - they usually make signs - and ask them what they'd need for a pattern. I'm thinking you could lay out the stripes on the car with masking tape, then trace the pattern on to something like masking paper to take to the shop.