Good ground point?

IL_pilot

OK- quick question. I just finished installing some stereo equipment in my '92 Regal. Couple of amps and a crossover in the trunk, all the grounds go to a single distribution block.

Anybody know of a good place to ground to in the trunk, or have any advice? Right now I'm using a self tapping machine screw in a sanded area near the back seat. I'm getting some nasty electrical noise from the alternator, but it comes and goes, it hitting bumps and takeing corners has an effect, that leads me to thinking it's a poor ground.

Any ideas? I'd like somewhere that I could drill and put a bolt in with a nut on the other side, but can't seem to find a good spot in the back without removing the gas tank or mounting in the spare tire well. Any ideas?

Thanks

two screws with the little star shaped steel washer into the brace behind the back seat is where my cousin does it, he went to a school for that shit and i've had no problems with it. My amp would "flutter" when i had mine on a sanded spot on the trunk floor with a machine screw. So i took it out and filled the hole with A B compund. Hope it works out for ya. If u don't get what i'm saying hit me up on PM or AOL IM loeridr6792 Later Jay

Any ideas? I'd like somewhere that I could drill and put a bolt in with a nut on the other side

you would be better off NOT drilling then using a but, but to get a self tapping screw and run it in to the sheetmetal. For the most part, all of the spots are gonna be the same and a good rule of thumb is to keep the ground as short as possible, there for eliminating the possibility if noise interference. make sure that where ever you choose, scrape all the paint off in the contact area, make sure your coinnectors are on tightly and cesurely, and run in a self tapping screw to hold it all together.

i usually do mine right around the base of the driver side strut tower. works great for me and dont ghave to worry about punching into a gas tank and blowing your self the fuck up.

- Justin

I added my ground to the power antenna ground.

Seat belt bracket probably would have been better, but mine works.

I would always use an existing bolt or screw. Not only does drilling through sheetmetal on some random place cause rusting, but to me it looks trashy. I always deduct how much I offer on a used car for ghetto looking stuff like that.

Thanks all for the tips, I was hesitant to use a seatbelt mounting bolt or strut tower bolt, but now I have some ideas at least. I'll probibly wait 'till Saturday to work on it when I can use my Dad's shop (having access to a heated shop has spoiled me, I did my first install in an unheated garage in December, but after this last one in a big shop with HEAT, I can't go back to freezing my balls off in these Chicago winters.

I'll also look at the battery-engine block-frame ground. I sincerly hope it's one of these, I don't know what I'd do if it's picking it up in the RCA's. They're the good ones (insulated and twisted pair and all that jazz) running down the right side, with the power going down the left.

Thanks again,

IIRC power wires next to the car wiring harness will give you alt noise

i could be wrong and im not sure what side the harness is on but good luck with the ground

i hope that fixes the noises you get

In the trunk there is a great place to ground. Rip off the rear carpeting along the rear of the car underneath the trunk latch. You will find 2 large studs on either side with nuts already on them. I've used these for grounds in several w-bodies now. Just make sure you scrape al the paint off on the sheet metal. I like using these because you can use large connectors to your ground cable, which is what they usually are anyway.