strut cover

phantomFE3

hey guys i finally got my wheel off today with the stripped lug nut (hammered on a smaller socket) and the rubber cover that goes over the strut is like half missing!!! im thinking im gonna need that since its winter with the snow and sand and all that shit, more than i would need it in the summer since the snow piled up, where would i get some of these and how would i put them on?

oh yeah i have about this much rotor left --> | |

seriously... its that thin, it makes a godawful sound whever i go, when im pushing on the brakes and even when im not pushing on them, any tips/tricks for replacing the brakes that would make it easier? its the rear ones im workin on..

• 4 weeks later...

what u need is called a boot kit. go to yer local parts stores and see if theyve got em. its not hard to pull a strut off. hell go to a shop. we'd charge about 75 bux to do it for u at my garage, p&l. and it wont hurt it that bad to go with out for a winter. if the boots torn, chances are that you need new struts anyways.

i have new rotors and pads and everything, i was just waiting to get that damn wheel off so i can change them and now that i have it off thats what im gonna do
You might as well do the calipers too while your down there youll save a second job later

why do the front calipers? They usually last a while (hell of a lot longer than the rear). I've never had problems with my fronts.
phantomFE3 wrote:
, any tips/tricks for replacing the brakes that would make it easier? its the rear ones im workin on..
internet rule 101 read whole post before answering someone elses post

Sorry, I've been focused on working on my front brakes the last couple days :yikes:
Thats cool Ive been doing my rears on the Lumina this weekend. When I get the front rotors its on with them this week ---------------------------------------------------379235_14_full.jpg

seriously... its that thin, it makes a godawful sound whever i go, when im pushing on the brakes and even when im not pushing on them, any tips/tricks for replacing the brakes that would make it easier? its the rear ones im workin on..

you need a special tool. its called like a disk brake spanner or something like that, i forgot the exact name. it is a box that goes on a 3/8 rachet, with different designs to fit the capilar piston. you'll want to do yourself a favor -- i bolted the capiler back up to the hub, without the rotor, and pushed on the piston, using the tool, will all my strength to get it to turn. the pistons probably won't want to turn, getting them to turn back into the capiler will be tons of fun

also, if corrosion is a problem where you live, clean the capiler sliders, they will probably be corroded. get new slider bushings, i paid like $15 at the auto parts store, and use lots of brake capiler grease

:verymad: death to w-body rear brakes!