1990 Lumina Rear Speaker Options (using stock installation setup)

Vegeta

This is a fun one.  I want to replace the rear 6x9s and not cut/drill/screw anything to the sheet metal.  I tried a 6.5" speaker but the depth is wrong so it just floats and sounds awful.  Really need a box/baffle and get the speaker up against the rear deck.

Has anyone done something like this?  I miss the 91 grand prix I had with plastic covers for the speakers and a plastic tray to set it in.  

IMG_20240930_125010.jpg

IMG_20240930_125034.jpg

BEN??? Had to look at your user name a few times.

Holy shit man. Its been a few minutes! How've you been?!?

If for whatever ends you can find the Bose specific speaker brackets they can accommodate a bigger speaker.

If you're using a 6.5 round you could make an adapter plate and then use a block of wood or something to take up the space to the bracket.

Though honestly some self tapping screws would make the quickest work of it.

Nothing new, still doing 60V6 stuff and improving my capabilities;)  Been working on the 60DegreeV6 site even though its practically dead.  Or because its practically dead?  I like the underground, even if its in plain sight.

Normally I would cut and tap and do whatever I wanted to install speakers, but I don't really want to show off anything to be stolen, and there isn't much if any room above the sheet metal and the rear deck.  I was kinda hoping some audio enthusiast already did something with similar ideals on not modifying anything;)  With 3D printers, something could be made for sure but I am not good with designing parts.  I can print a spacer for the bottom, but I think the magnet helps keep the speaker in place as well.  What I really want is a 6.5" midrange speaker in a box that can use the stock tray.  

Its not a high priority right now, so if I have to make something, ill do that later and update the thread.  Might just make a thread for the car since its just about ready for the road...or have the rust taken care of so the body kit can go back on;)

if you used some short self tappers there wouldn't be any real concern about them poking through the parcel shelf

I might with the 6x9 adapter but the tweeter on my speaker sits higher, so I have to use the grille cover which is rounded.  Im trying to avoid drilling into the sheet metal if I can, though the more I think about this car, its probably not worth caring about like that.  I bought the wiring adapters so the wires wouldn't get cut.  There is probably 1/8" between the sheetmetal and the rear deck where the speaker sits.