intercooler on L67?

rcLord510

Sorry for the long post but I figured I'd see what everyone thought. I have a 2003 GTP, basically all stock right now besides a cold air, plugs, and that's basically it. It's my daily so I don't wanna go crazy with it, gen v, headers, exhaust, IC, smaller pully, maybe in the future an XP cam but for now just do that stuff and enjoy it for what it is. However I wanted everyone's opinions on intercooling and the gen v on a L67 car. I have a Gen V lying around, so I figure why not use it, unless there's more to gain with just using a gen 3, buying the fs IC for that blower, and just leaving stock throttle body and everything, or if I'd be better off doing a gen5, n* TB , and LQ4 MAF. and as well as that, what's the fuel rail solution for that? if I get the ZZP logs, do I have to get different injectors or will the stockers work? Again sorry for all the questions but I figured I'd get all this situated well before ordering, anyways, thanks everyone

Stock injectors will be fine. 

IMO go Gen v northstar and lq4 MAF when you buy the intercooler.   You’ll want a tune anyways with the intercooler to make the most of it so id do it all at once!  

7 hours ago, Bake82 said:

Stock injectors will be fine. 

IMO go Gen v northstar and lq4 MAF when you buy the intercooler.   You’ll want a tune anyways with the intercooler to make the most of it so id do it all at once!  

What about for fuel rails?

Fuel rails are required when doing intercooler as it raises the height of the sc and the stock fuel rail won't reach.

I wholeheartedly agree you're going to need a tune. I highly recommend contacting ZZP and tell them your setup. Do the remote tune option. Rent the HPT adapter if you have to, but better to buy it.

It's not as fun to talk about as engine mods but if you're looking at a goal at or exceeding 300hp it is also recommended to look at installing a transmission cooler, your 4t65 will thank you for it.

Edited by Amanita

They make injector spacers, too.  I bought the billet fuel logs and couldn't get them to fit with the EGR.  I've been waiting forever for them to have the modified fuel rails back in stock.  I've been sitting on this credit for probably 2 years now.

45 minutes ago, GtpKo said:

Fuel rails are required when doing intercooler as it raises the height of the sc and the stock fuel rail won't reach.

I wholeheartedly agree you're going to need a tune. I highly recommend contacting ZZP and tell them your setup. Do the remote tune option. Rent the HPT adapter if you have to, but better to buy it.

My dad’s done all of this in his 91 cutlass which is L67 swapped and now turbo, so I’m gonna have him teach me I think

17 minutes ago, Amanita said:

It's not as fun to talk about as engine mods but if you're looking at a goal at or exceeding 300hp it is also recommended to look at installing a transmission cooler, your 4t65 will thank you for it.

Yeah that’s another mod I’m doing before big stuff like the intercooler, and maybe a shift kit, not sure if those are totally worth it, but if so what do you guys suggest for one? Same for a cooler, what’s everyone running?

3 minutes ago, pwmin said:

They make injector spacers, too.  I bought the billet fuel logs and couldn't get them to fit with the EGR.  I've been waiting forever for them to have the modified fuel rails back in stock.  I've been sitting on this credit for probably 2 years now.

Thought about trying those but I might just try it’ll to make the logs work with the egr, I figure if I’m gonna do intercooler, I’m just gonna go all the way

3 minutes ago, rcLord510 said:

Yeah that’s another mod I’m doing before big stuff like the intercooler, and maybe a shift kit, not sure if those are totally worth it, but if so what do you guys suggest for one? Same for a cooler, what’s everyone running?

I make stock power in the Grand Prix I track so I don't have an intercooler but ZZP's stuff is the standard. I know having a shift kit is good for the transmission if you're doing hard driving but as a daily I'm not sure.

Edited by Amanita