Not running for 20 years

skifrog

My sister has a 95 Cutlass Supreme Convertible that has been sitting for 20 years, garaged in the desert. We'd like to get it running again. Wondering what would be the smart steps to take before turning it over. Oil in the cylinders, things like that. 

• Like 2

Plan on a fuel pump and a gas tank.  New battery. Oil change. Tires. Probably won’t need much more than that. My Z sat for 10 years.

You're going to need a fresh battery + a charger on hand to back up the battery, disable everything that will cause the engine to fire (fuel pump relay, ICM harness), I'd remove the serpentine belt just in case any one of the driven accessories are seized, remove the intake snorkel, pull all of the plugs (you want the engine to crank freely), dump the old crankcase oil, pour in fresh oil before cranking, remove the rad cap...anything in there?  squirt some engine oil down into the cylinders, if nothng is out-of-order with the starting system now you can turn the key & crank the engine, do so continually so that you can see the oil pressure building on the oil pressure gauge.

If you are satisfied you have pressure now start returning items to their proper state, make sure the air cleaner box IS clean, I'd manually spin all of the belt drive accessories to test each one to ensure they are not seized before putting the belt back on.

You CAN fire the engine for a short time without the drive belt.

You're going need fresh fuel as well.

Edited by 55trucker
  • Like 2

Like most people said, figure at minimum dropping the fuel tank out, inspect replace the tank if its bad. 99% chance it needs a fuel pump and fuel level sender. even if it does work not not sure I'd trust it longterm.

I'd dump the coolant, replace that. Fuel injectors MIGHT be ok hard to say there. If you can I'd send those out to get tested/cleaned or just replace them or just send it and see what happens.

I'd seriously consider a new waterpump as well.

I'd put oil in the cylinders and let it sit for a bit, and try turning the engine over by hand first.

is it a 3.1 car or 3.4 car? If its a 3.4 a timing belt would be a good idea in the short term.

• Like 2

While not needed to start the engine, I`d certainly replace the brake and P/S fluid before driving around to much.

Finding out why it was parked for so long would be a good idea too.

EVERYTHING rubber is suspect:  Belts, hoses, (radiator, heater, PS, trans cooler, A/C, vacuum) tires, suspension bushings, weatherstripping, various gaskets, spark plug wires and more.

EVERYTHING safety-related MUST be inspected:  Brakes including brake fluid and ABS operation, park-brake operation, steering, suspension.

ALL fluids and filters need to be replaced.  Adding a PS filter, and perhaps an A/C compressor inlet filter might be a good idea.