Suspension Techniques springs - right ones?

GnatGoSplat

HAH! Just my luck... I'm finally getting around to getting all my new suspension parts cleaned/assembled to go in the car, so I look at DykZ34's page of his Suspension Techniques spring install and I realize my ST springs are different!

The top and bottom diameters will fit fine, but I notice mine look taller and have 6 or 7 coils rather than 5 that DykZ34's springs have. A forum search reveals someone saying that the ST part #89123 springs (W-body front springs) were redesigned at some point.

Do I have the revised springs, wrong springs, or what?

I've had them sitting around in their box for awhile so if I got the wrong springs, lucky me, I'm stuck with 'em. :(

I've had them sitting around in their box for awhile so if I got the wrong springs, lucky me, I'm stuck with 'em. :(

if they are wrong. just order the correct ones and send the wrong ones back in the new box :twisted:

MOST LIKELY A REVICES SPRING. did you get it from jcw? if so just check the p/n on there. they are listed as the fronts for a 1995-99 monte carlo

Yeah, I got them from JCW. The p/n on them is 89123 which I THINK is the right p/n.

• 2 months later...

Yes, but just the front springs.

BTW, I finally got around to putting one of the springs in last weekend. It fits fine and does lower the car a tiny bit so I think it's the right spring. Unfortunately, I only saw an initial drop of 1/4", maybe 1/2" at the most. Hopefully the car will become even lower after a break in period.

I have to wait for a new coolant pipe before I can do the other side. I need to turn the car around in the garage for room to work on the other side and a busted coolant pipe is keeping me from starting it up.

Just curious, How did you go about compressing the spring? My lower spring plate rusted out last spring and I tried one of those spring compressors from a parts store and it didn't work at all. So I took it to Monro and gave'em $20,

I knda think I should do the other one this spring cause I worried about it doing the same thing, witch at the right speeds would kill me. Luckily the first time I was just doing 4mph in my parking lot.

That's cool I was gonna check around and see if I can find something that goes a little lower that what the SP says they will drop. I have heard that they don't do very much in the way of dropping the car but I wonder if the rate is the same and if it will stiffen up the front end a bit. I hate bringin the big ass prix into a hard turn, it doesn't feel tight enough, LOL. Anybody have these springs installed that can give anymore information on them?

Just curious, How did you go about compressing the spring? My lower spring plate rusted out last spring and I tried one of those spring compressors from a parts store and it didn't work at all. So I took it to Monro and gave'em $20,

I knda think I should do the other one this spring cause I worried about it doing the same thing, witch at the right speeds would kill me. Luckily the first time I was just doing 4mph in my parking lot.

WOW, those spring plates are THICK metal!!! You must have killer road salt up there!!! My old ones were 15yrs old and weren't hardly even rusty.

Anyway, I just used basic spring compressors I got for $7.99/pair from Harbor Freight.

I've seen a few people on the forum in the past have used them.

I probably would have rather used them for the greater drop, but I don't know that I could have justified spending $200 on a set of springs and then only using the front springs and disposing of the rear.

WOW, those spring plates are THICK metal!!! You must have killer road salt up there!!! My old ones were 15yrs old and weren't hardly even rusty.

Anyway, I just used basic spring compressors I got for $7.99/pair from Harbor Freight.

It suprised me too, I couldnt belive what happened. Right after I was planning on fixing and selling the car but I love it too much. The underbody is in top notch condition considering the age and the fact that its been through 16 NY winters, but rust is killing most of the suspension parts.

I had to take the spring to a dealership when the plate broke cause there was no way to take it apart with no bottom plate. The second time 2 of the three top bolts sheared in half cause I didn't torque them right. Thats when I tried one of those compressors that are like 2 long rods with hooks, and bolts that you tighten to compress the spring. They didnt work at all, I'd tighten one side and the other would pop back out.

Guest TurboSedan

i'm replacing my strut/knuckles soon for my front brake upgrade. i also use a spring compressor from Harbor Freight. i bought some '96 Cutlass front strut/knuckles awhile back. they still had the springs installed and i got 'em off just fine with the spring compressor. it's a little nerve racking when compressing the spring, but you just gotta get the compressor coil hooks as far out from the center of the spring as possible while keeping each compressor 180' apart of course. be careful to tighten each side evenly, and use the safety hooks.

also, i have 1.5" drop front springs from TDC (i think they are Eibach) in my current strut/knuckles, which are still in the car. they didn't seem to lower the front end enough and the lighter 5-speed transmission doesn't help the situation. i plan on cutting.

joshua