1992 Lumina code 33

90sEraWhips

My car stalled at a light and started back up. I plugged up my code reader and got code 13. So I replaced the 02 sensor a week later it stalled again and wouldn't start. Ended up being a blown 10amp dis fuse so I replaced ICM and Coils, IAC, fuel pump ,filter and tank and changed the plenum gaskets. I Started the car afterwards and now  you can hear it surge it the engine light came on and I got code 33 it won't idle unless I tap the gas pedal. The only vacuum line that is broke is the one that goes to the a/c check valve. Does that hose effect driveability? or just the hvac ?

Edited by 90sEraWhips

A quick google search for code 33 comes up with MAP sensor. That could be related to your vacuum leak. I would fix the hose and see if the issue goes away. Your symptoms sound like a typical vacuum leak. 

• Like 1

Not sure why you would go to all of this *effort* for a code 12?

A failed o2 sensor will do nothing more than prevent the fuel system from going closed loop.

• Like 2

I swapped the Map sensor with two more I had laying around that I pulled from the junkyard the code and rough idle still remains. There's a High wine sound coming from the plenum.

8 hours ago, 55trucker said:

Not sure why you would go to all of this *effort* for a code 12?

A failed o2 sensor will do nothing more than prevent the fuel system from going closed loop.

"12" is normal when the engine isn't running.  It's telling you that the distributor isn't turning--which is what happens when the engine doesn't run.

A failed O2 sensor CAN do more than "prevent closed-loop".   It can send false information to the computer generally leading to poor fuel economy and/or poor driveability while in closed-loop.

Absolutely, find and fix the vacuum leak(s).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Schurkey said:

A failed O2 sensor CAN do more than "prevent closed-loop".   It can send false information to the computer generally leading to poor fuel economy and/or poor driveability while in closed-loop.

Noooo, a *failed* o2 sensor will prevent the ECM/fuel system from going into closed loop, a *lazy* o2 sensor can cause the ECM to repeatedly enter & exit closed loop upsetting the fuel handling and any other device that operates when the system is in closed loop.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Schurkey said:

Absolutely, find and fix the vacuum leak(s).

This. There is likely a vacuum leak someplace.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 55trucker said:

Noooo, a *failed* o2 sensor will prevent the ECM/fuel system from going into closed loop, a *lazy* o2 sensor can cause the ECM to repeatedly enter & exit closed loop upsetting the fuel handling and any other device that operates when the system is in closed loop.

We're debating over the definition of "failed".

If an O2 sensor isn't sending CORRECT information, I say it's failed.  Lazy = failed.

If an O2 sensor isn't sending ANY information, you say it's failed.

My 88 K1500 would set a "lean" code at highway speed.  I had adequate rich/lean indication up to about 55--65 mph depending on load/wind direction.  Good cross-counts at idle and off-idle, cross-counts reducing as the speed increased.  I went nuts on and off for two years trying to figure-out why the truck went lean on the highway.  Fuel pressure was good, AIR pump diverted to the air cleaner in closed-loop...and stayed there exactly as designed.  Intake gaskets not leaking, no sign of vacuum leaks anywhere.

In desperation, I pulled out the O2 sensor, replaced it with a fresh one.  About the same cross-counts at idle and off-idle...but it didn't go lean at higher speed.  No more lean codes.  Problem solved from that point on.  To me, that's a failed O2 sensor.  To my shame, I screwed-around now and again for two years playing with injector cleaning, fuel pressure, and re-running all sorts of tests on the emissions controls and ignition system because I didn't pitch a (at that time) $13 one-wire O2 sensor in the trash.

My experience is that a failed O2 sensor will generally report false-lean conditions, driving the computer into rich-command, affecting fuel economy and potentially driveability.  I have not seen an O2 sensor fail and deliver rich signal, driving the computer into lean command...but I suppose it could happen.

Edited by Schurkey
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Fixed broken a/c vaccum hose and now the car idles and drives. But now I can hear the injector ticking I know some say this is normal but before today I've never heard it tick. Also a spark plug wire was shaking, when I touched it you can feel a tap. I swapped wires it still did this until I removed the plug and reinstalled it.

Edited by 90sEraWhips