Window Lock Switch Troubles

pwmin

1999 Grand Prix coupe.  Driver door will only lock sometimes. It will always unlock and the passenger side will always do both.  I tried swapping switches and a different switch that I know works, but no change.  I can power the lock wire and it still, same thing.  Remote start key fob, same thing.  It will start the car even without it actually being locked.  I'm trying to avoid pulling the door panel, but I guess that's what I'm going to have to end up doing.   Any suggestions?  TIA

1 hour ago, pwmin said:

1999 Grand Prix coupe.  Driver door will only lock sometimes. It will always unlock and the passenger side will always do both.  I tried swapping switches and a different switch that I know works, but no change.  I can power the lock wire and it still, same thing.  Remote start key fob, same thing.  It will start the car even without it actually being locked.  I'm trying to avoid pulling the door panel, but I guess that's what I'm going to have to end up doing.   Any suggestions?  TIA

I had the exact same problem on my GTP. I was noticing the passenger door was not locking. The driver door and rear doors were all locking and unlocking just fine. The switches worked just fine, the key fob worked fine, but the passenger door would not lock. If I manually locked it, it would unlock. 

I pulled the door panel, and lubed up the latches, and the linkages and that fixed the issue for about a year.

Then I had the exact same thing happen on my truck. The driver side door would not lock. It was unlocking just fine if I manually locked the door. 

It ended up being the door lock actuator on my truck. Replaced it and it was working fine again. Decided to replace the one on the GTP with one from the junkyard and it's still working just fine. 

2 hours ago, 94 olds vert said:

I had the exact same problem on my GTP. I was noticing the passenger door was not locking. The driver door and rear doors were all locking and unlocking just fine. The switches worked just fine, the key fob worked fine, but the passenger door would not lock. If I manually locked it, it would unlock. 

I pulled the door panel, and lubed up the latches, and the linkages and that fixed the issue for about a year.

Then I had the exact same thing happen on my truck. The driver side door would not lock. It was unlocking just fine if I manually locked the door. 

It ended up being the door lock actuator on my truck. Replaced it and it was working fine again. Decided to replace the one on the GTP with one from the junkyard and it's still working just fine. 

Thank you so much.    I guess I'll try the lube trick first and then maybe grab an actuator if it doesn't work.    Don't know why I don't want to pull the door panel;  I've only done it about 63,998 times.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Welp, I lubed it up, but it's not the actuator.  New one does the same thing.  I was hoping that's all it was and I wouldn't have to troubleshoot.  Sometimes it gets the signal to lock and sometimes it doesn't.  The switch is sending out the signal, but only the passenger side receives it every time. I guess it has to be in the wiring somewhere, but where?  

edit:  put the old one back in, messed with it a little and now it works all the time.   I guess it might be the BCM, then

Edited by pwmin