unibody strength in outer rocker panels

mycarsucks

Do the outer rockers on these cars hold any structural value? I know the inner ones keep it from sagging, I just put some new inner rockers on my car and im thinking about just ignoring the outer one and putting the cover back on. The outer rocker is gone all the way down the car. Pinch weld is perfect and inner rocker was just repaired. 

The inner rocker is where most the strength is, but on a unibody car the outer rocker does serve a purpose. If you can get the trim on without it sagging then I say go for it. It's your car do what you want. 

4 hours ago, 94 olds vert said:

The inner rocker is where most the strength is, but on a unibody car the outer rocker does serve a purpose. If you can get the trim on without it sagging then I say go for it. It's your car do what you want. 

The car had no inner or outer rockers for years and I dont think it was sagging. I guess the pinch weld held it up? Does anyone have body alignment measurements on a 1st gen 4 door GP that I could use to make sure that its not sagging in the middle?

On 7/21/2024 at 10:07 PM, mycarsucks said:

The car had no inner or outer rockers for years and I dont think it was sagging. I guess the pinch weld held it up? Does anyone have body alignment measurements on a 1st gen 4 door GP that I could use to make sure that its not sagging in the middle?

Don't really need a measurement, just look at it and see if it's sagging. Could probably easily mount something to make it look decent. I used to see 2nd gen cars with the rocker covers dragging on the ground because they were so rusted. 

6 hours ago, 94 olds vert said:

Don't really need a measurement, just look at it and see if it's sagging. Could probably easily mount something to make it look decent.

Sorry I should have made this more clear, I am not talking about the Rocker panel cover sagging, I am talking about the entire unibody sagging in the middle due to the lack of inner rocker panels. I need body measurements to ensure that the car isnt folding in on itself structurally

• Sad 1