Need to know some info about replacing the strut cartridge?

89-W-Body-Regal

I have a 1989 Buick Regal Custom 2.8L V-6. This is my first time replacing the front strut cartridge myself. I just bought the tools on eBay. I need to know, when you remove the strut cartridge, the dealer shop manual says, oil from strut tube using suction device.

If the oil has to be removed how much oil has to be removed? Do you ever need to drain the oil with fresh oil? What type of oil do you use? Not motor oil? Sorry for the stupid questions, that’s my only issue I have replacing these. I want to know how much to keep in there and how much to remove. Here is the factory info from my Buick shop manual.

IMG_4722.jpeg

IMG_4723.jpeg

Edited by 89-W-Body-Regal

The OEM strut has loose oil inside.  You'd remove ALL of it to the best of your ability.

The replacement cartridge is a different design, that doesn't need oil inside the housing.

Remove the oil, drop the new cartridge into the housing, put it together just like the manual says.

Posted (edited)

What do you think of this? I don’t know why the shop manual doesn’t say this. I’ve watched a video on YouTube where a guy doing one of these said to keep some oil in there because you have to coat the new cartridge 1/2. So he removed some and said if he had to put some back in you would do it with the suction.  The guy mentioned the oil cools down the heat of the strut cartridge so it don’t overheat.

Was he right ? I don’t know why the manual didn’t mention this. Don’t want it to overheat the cartridge. But that’s what I hear people done before over the years.

Watch 5:40 to 7:35

Procedure #8 says - oil from strut tube using suction device.

The service manual just forgot to put REMOVE OR DISCONECT at the top of that list.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, ron350 said:

Procedure #8 says - oil from strut tube using suction device.

The service manual just forgot to put REMOVE OR DISCONECT at the top of that list.

Yeah I see that, none of that service info makes sense really with wording. The video was really helpful. But the guy was right about the oil?

Step #8 says remove the oil so i removed the oil when I replaced my cartridges.

Do whatever you want I don't think it really matters.

• Like 1

There ARE strut cartridges that when replaced, need some oil-bath.

Apparently, the W-body ones don't.  OR the service manual is wrong.  Can you get access to a later-model-year manual?