Wheel bearings ABS vs Non ABS - 1st gen

SuperBuick

Hi all,

on first gen ABS cars (powermaster 3), im looking at front wheel bearings on rockauto, and they say for “non abs”  - but there are no abs options

In talking with Jeremiah (who im buying the car from) he thinks the abs reads off of the cv not the bearing?

i dont have the car here to investigate but I do want to order parts to have on hand (hence the impatience in asking before i have the car) 🙂

And if the cv axle is where it reads, do you need a different set of axles?

2 hours ago, SuperBuick said:

Hi all,

on first gen ABS cars (powermaster 3), im looking at front wheel bearings on rockauto, and they say for “non abs”  - but there are no abs options

In talking with Jeremiah (who im buying the car from) he thinks the abs reads off of the cv not the bearing?

i dont have the car here to investigate but I do want to order parts to have on hand (hence the impatience in asking before i have the car) 🙂

And if the cv axle is where it reads, do you need a different set of axles?

That is correct.  For the ABS cars, there is a tone ring that the ABS sensor reads on the axles.  

On the first gens the ABS sensor is separate of the bearing on the front. so technically yeah there is no front abs hub as they all can be

Its held in with the upper 2 bolts, you may have to use a small hammer to knock the locating pins of the sensor out of the bearing when you remove