2012 Impala 6-Speed Auto Trans Filter

Schurkey

I find myself the caretaker of a 2012 Impala; 3.6L DOHC and 6T75E (?) or 6T80E (?) transmission.  It's a 6-speed auto at any rate.

Car is generally in wonderful condition, but trans fluid is more brown than I'd really prefer.  I bought a 5-gallon pail of Dex-VI and a trans filter from O'Reillys.  I was getting-up the gumption to drop the pan, replace the filter, remove a cooler tube, and flush the fluid.

I'm reading on another forum that the trans filter is "lifetime", the trans has to be dropped-out and split-open to access the filter.  Is this true?  Seems unlikely given that O'Reillys had the filter in stock, and it looks like any other modern, black-plastic trans filter.

I normally buy a service manual set for any vehicle I own...but there's no used manuals on eBay; and new ones from Helm are $300.  And--technically--I don't actually own this car.

For the record--and I hate admitting this--this Impala will absolutely EAT my '92 or '93 Lumina Euro 3.4L DOHC vehicles.  I used to think of the W-body Impalas as "W Impalas" --> "WIMPalas" but I'm done with that now.  Holy crap, this 3.6L moves compared to the 3.4L.

Edited by Schurkey

I still haven't been under the car.  Lots of inspection to be done and I haven't even begun that.  Runs and drives great...so far.

Thanks for the replies.

On 6/19/2024 at 2:19 AM, Schurkey said:

I find myself the caretaker of a 2012 Impala; 3.6L DOHC and 6T75E (?) or 6T80E (?) transmission.  It's a 6-speed auto at any rate.

Car is generally in wonderful condition, but trans fluid is more brown than I'd really prefer.  I bought a 5-gallon pail of Dex-VI and a trans filter from O'Reillys.  I was getting-up the gumption to drop the pan, replace the filter, remove a cooler tube, and flush the fluid.

I'm reading on another forum that the trans filter is "lifetime", the trans has to be dropped-out and split-open to access the filter.  Is this true?  Seems unlikely given that O'Reillys had the filter in stock, and it looks like any other modern, black-plastic trans filter.

I normally buy a service manual set for any vehicle I own...but there's no used manuals on eBay; and new ones from Helm are $300.  And--technically--I don't actually own this car.

For the record--and I hate admitting this--this Impala will absolutely EAT my '92 or '93 Lumina Euro 3.4L DOHC vehicles.  I used to think of the W-body Impalas as "W Impalas" --> "WIMPalas" but I'm done with that now.  Holy crap, this 3.6L moves compared to the 3.4L.

Isn't that some kind of powerplant.......LFX engine, can't sneeze at 300 hp, 265 lbs.ft torque & a redline of 7200.

I honestly wouldn't object to shoehorning that along with the 6T75 trans down onto my car.....Jeez sleeper.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really not shocked that a modern 3.6 would slaughter a old 3.4 DOHC.

I've been saying one of those in my z34 would be a riot and given the LQ1s parts availability issues lately.....

Love me that engine don't get me wrong but as being the first American designed/built DOHC V6 it has plenty of compromises. Lack of VVT, Timing Chain and Belt, largely designed ~40 years ago etc. It was pretty potent in 1994 not so much for 2024.

Doing some rather quick reading up on that it looks like that's the case. Not too dissimilar from the 4t80 in that regard. I'd probably just change as much of the fluid as possible and call it good.