Moving upstream oxygen sensor?

KevenP

Shop cannot remove the sensor and won't remove the exhaust

manifold for fear of broken studs.

Why can't the sensor be moved 'down stream' 8 inches or so?

Leave the old one in place and weld in a new bung?

Thoughts?

11 hours ago, KevenP said:

Shop cannot remove the sensor and won't remove the exhaust manifold for fear of broken studs.

Why can't the sensor be moved 'down stream' 8 inches or so?  Leave the old one in place and weld in a new bung?

You need a different shop.  They're not trying hard enough.

Moving the sensor downstream will reduce the exhaust heat warming the sensor.  But 8" shouldn't make so much difference that sensor operation would be affected.  Bigger problem will be finding out if the exhaust pipe is structurally sound enough to get a bung welded-in; and getting the welding equipment in place to get a leak-free weld.  And of course, you need to assure that you have enough harness length, and that the harness won't rub or burn on anything even when the engine moves around on the mounts.

I dealt with a Dodge Charger (Hemi) that "the shop" couldn't remove the O2 sensor, left exhaust manifold.  Yes, it was a challenge, and it took both of us pushing on a 4-foot lever to pop the sensor loose.  Once it broke free, it unscrewed like it had never been stuck to begin with.  Generally the threads are damaged, but not this one.

Thanks.

They got the sensor to move but he said it was 'pulling threads'.

I'll have a look at the down pipe.

I'm guessing this is an older W?  I know the newer ones from 94-96/97 have 2 sensors.  One upstream...one down.

1 hour ago, jiggity76 said:

I'm guessing this is an older W?  I know the newer ones from 94-96/97 have 2 sensors.  One upstream...one down.

'02 GP 3.1