Convert to ecc?

rcLord510

Have a 03 gtp and Im interested in trying to convert it to have electronic climate control, since I believe that option was removed in 00, does anyone have any pictures of behind their dash and the connecter that it uses, along with maybe some schematics, I know it’s possible, just wanna know how challenging it’d be

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 94 olds vert said:

I know doing this isn't easy. I found a thread from the old grand prix forums that may be of use. I do like the electric climate control feature in my 2000 GTP. 

https://www.grandprixforums.com/how-to-write-ups-tech-tips/106563-97-02-pontiac-grand-prix-manual-dual-hvac-to-automatic-hvac-conversion.html

I’ve seen that one before, I’m not totally sure of the difference between automatic and manual control, I know one has 3 knobs and my version has 2 knobs and 2 sliders, im not sure which is which

8 minutes ago, rcLord510 said:

I’ve seen that one before, I’m not totally sure of the difference between automatic and manual control, I know one has 3 knobs and my version has 2 knobs and 2 sliders, im not sure which is which

Mine is just 2 dials with buttons. When set to a temp it will automatically adjust the fan speed. 

20210811_185728.jpg

Just now, 94 olds vert said:

Mine is just 2 dials with buttons. When set to a temp it will automatically adjust the fan speed. 

20210811_185728.jpg

First of all beautiful gtp!! Second of all I did a comparison and the only difference between the 2 is 1. It shows inside temp and outside temp on the ecc and doesn’t on mine obviously(no screen) and 2 it has a little different button selection and it automatically adjusts the fans like you said, however since that is done in the unit, I’m wondering if(because I’m guessing mine also has at least the inside temp sensor) that if i connect solder on the connecter for the ecc and confirm that I’ve made the right connections with schematics, in theory everything should work the same, I’m really hoping at least…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rcLord510 said:

First of all beautiful gtp!! Second of all I did a comparison and the only difference between the 2 is 1. It shows inside temp and outside temp on the ecc and doesn’t on mine obviously(no screen) and 2 it has a little different button selection and it automatically adjusts the fans like you said, however since that is done in the unit, I’m wondering if(because I’m guessing mine also has at least the inside temp sensor) that if i connect solder on the connecter for the ecc and confirm that I’ve made the right connections with schematics, in theory everything should work the same, I’m really hoping at least…

First off thank you. That GTP is like my baby lol

If you manage to connect the ECC to the proper wires it should work. I don't know exactly what wires are what in these cars for the climate control units. Mine shows outside temp and whatever temp I set the dials to. I would probably go to a junkyard and grab as much wiring harness from a car that has ECC and start figuring out where all those go so you can tap into the correct wires. 

21 hours ago, 94 olds vert said:

First off thank you. That GTP is like my baby lol

If you manage to connect the ECC to the proper wires it should work. I don't know exactly what wires are what in these cars for the climate control units. Mine shows outside temp and whatever temp I set the dials to. I would probably go to a junkyard and grab as much wiring harness from a car that has ECC and start figuring out where all those go so you can tap into the correct wires. 

That’s exactly what I was thinking, find a jy car with it and pull it along with the pigtail, and go on all data or something to find the wiring diagram. Unfortunately, coming across a 97-00 car in any jy within 100 miles of me is difficult, let alone one that came with ecc 

• Like 1