Boost Gauge cuts in and out

dbtk2

I just bought a '90 STE Turbo and I noticed while driving it that the boost gauge works a lot of the time, but sometimes it doesn't work at all. What do you think the problem is? Loose connection? I have no clue, any suggestions would help.

Thanks.

Shawn

I dont know what other problems u might have when ur boost gauge goes out but my stock one does it too, and when it does my check engine light comes on and i know exactly what it is. There is a vaccum line i have that falls out and whenever it does the car freaks and the stock boost gauge doesnt work. I dont think this is the same problem u are having but i just thought i would give it a shot???

Thats not the same problem I am having. I will be driving and it will read normal and everything, and then I will notice it isn't showing anything (actually it reads ~-12psi) and it isn't moving at all, and then it will just start working again. Its pretty odd. That is why I think it may be a loose connection, but I don't know. I am going to get an aftermarket boost gauge eventually, but I just thought this was odd so I figured I would ask in case anyone else has had this happen and knows what it is.

Sorry I can't help but you live in Holt? I live on the east side of the state were is holt?

Just south of Lansing. I live 4 miles from MSU.

Shawn

When I got my red TGP started, the gauge wasn't reading at all. I don't mean at the low end of vacuum, I mean the needle was at the bottom of the gauge, and wouldn't move. But the turbo was sure as hell working, as people from blocks away can attest to! :shock:

My stock turbo gauge has never read full vaccum, even though it will read about 10 in. of vaccum while the autometer will read 20 in. does anyone have a stock gauge that actually works all the way from bottom to top????

My stock turbo gauge has never read full vaccum, even though it will read about 10 in. of vaccum while the autometer will read 20 in. does anyone have a stock gauge that actually works all the way from bottom to top????

When my gauge works it appears to be very accurate, and works from bottom to top. I just want to figure out why it doesn't work. It is getting worse too, it didn't work all the way home from school today, and thats ~10-12 miles.

The rule of thumb on a stock TGP boost guage is that it is accurate to + or - 30 psi. The guage should be vaccum powered, so either it's a bad vaccum line, or the guage is just taking a crap.

• 2 months later...

Well for all of you who have this problem i have fixed mine by doing the check gauge light fix buy resoldering contacts on the back of the cluster and that is what fixed my boost gauge and check gauge light.......

Mike Schwartzbauer