YAY MY FIRST SES LIGHT

GRANDFURY

With all the probs I have been having with my beast it never once threw a SES light but now that I got her running right (except the little stubble off the line) The light comes on now and then but goes away. So how do I do the paper clip thing to check the codes? My car is a '89 GP LE with 2.8. At least now that it is throwing SES light I can track this prob. It still runs fine while the light is on . Thanx guys. 8)

One more thing..........should put the paper clip in and then turn on the igination or turn it on then put in paper clip?

Either or... it doesn't matter. I turn the car to the ON position first so that when the system is grounded, I can hear the 'click' of the fans and then sit and watch for the trouble codes.

- Erik

one thing to note.... your car WONT give you any trouble codes unless the car is currently throwing that code... or at least that is what mine does, unless it is a serious problem like a sensor not reading or something, other wise if it is something like abnormal idle or high idle, where it would just throw a code until it fixes itself or you put the car in gear, it wont come up unless it is having that problem. Simple codes like that dont get stored (from my experience, i could be wrong though) but bad codes do get stored.

- Justin

everythime the SES comes on, the computer should store the code unless power is lost. the exception to the rule would be the 96+ OBDII cars, they keep them even with the battery disconnected, and can only be cleared with a scantool or if the problem doesn't reoccur in so many key cycles.

When you jump the computer it will flash code 12 three times, pause for a second then go into the codes that are stored in the computer.

codes can be found here http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/

it also tells you how to jump the aldl with pictures :)

Well at break at work tonight I cut a saftey pin in half and stuffed her in the ports and it came up code 32, I then checked my book and it says EGR malfunction. WOW it is nice having a comp that works again much easier to diganose. :D Thanx again guys 8)

the egr is probably throwing a code because the egr passage is blocked with carbon. Take the egr and get all the carbon out. They expensive to replace $150-200 i believe. when your cleaning it, disconnect the battary to clear out all the codes.