totalsleeper

it would take about 20 miles for a 2.8 to get up to that speed

What makes you think there is any difference between a 2.8 and 3.1? Not much hp difference there...

All my 89 CS's limit out at 117. There are some people on here that claim they have no limiters, and as soon as I find out where they live I'm stealing their MEMCALs.

. There are some people on here that claim they have no limiters, and as soon as I find out where they live I'm stealing their MEMCALs.

LMAO.. I have found no limit on my Euro... I had the needle buried way past 115mph and I was still going faster on a level road.. But, I decided to slow down.. Cops really frown on speeding through 45 mph side streets.. :lol:

What makes you think there is any difference between a 2.8 and 3.1? Not much hp difference there...

All my 89 CS's limit out at 117. There are some people on here that claim they have no limiters, and as soon as I find out where they live I'm stealing their MEMCALs.

3.1L take 19.5 miles to get to 120 :P

I dunno how different the '91's are.. but my '91 never had a limiter. I'm sure its in a yard somewhere around here.

if it was redlineing it was neither rev or speed limited. redlining means your car went as fast as it can go which was 100mph, speedo could also be off (higher speed are sometimes not accurate). my car is governed at 105MPH....once i hit that speed, it feels like i run out of gas fora a sec till i drope below 105 then itll do it again. it really sucks

My Cutlass tops out at approx 127mph, or so I've read. The speedo only goes to 120 and i've had it buried beyond that. Anybody know if they make a Hypertech Power Programmer for the 3.4L, You can disable the governors with those(among lots of other things)

Guest TurboSedan

i can hit 117mph in my Cutlass and that is IT. it was obvious that the computer was what was holding it back. it felt like it turned off the engine almost and it only turned back on when i went down to 114mph. i stepped on it again and hit 117mph and got the same result. that was with a '90 Getrag 282 5-speed, '90 Grand Prix 3.1/5-speed wiring harness & ECM/memcal, and 225/60-16's.

joshua

Neither of my cutlass supremes have that stupid speed cut off switch and Ive got a 2.8 in one and a 3.1 in the other both 89s. Both cars arnt that quick as far as 1/4 mile times but on the interstate they scream when going for top end speed. :D

in my 94 z-34, it pulls hard to 110-112 then just stops accelerating. I the beretta I used to own, I would get it up to that speed and the engine would cut out then come back once the speed went below the govnor.

In the lumina the car just stops accelerating. It doesn't cut the engine out like it did in my beretta. I thought the lumina had a higher govnor than 110-112? Oh well, looks like new computer time.

i agree with no1kicker

i'd rather have a car that accelerates like hell and only tops out at 100 over a car that accelerates slower and flies wide open

remember muscle cars? accelerated like a bad outta hell but really didn't go all that fast for a top end

the brakes on early w-bodies are too poor to merit going that fast anyways

I've never had mine into triple digits, too risky for tickets in my opinion. The fastest I've gone was probably 90 or so the first day I had it on the road.

See.. I've done it once in each car.. it isn't the tickets I'm worried about.. Its when I get to about 90-95 I start to imagine SOMETHING breaking in the front end, or a tire blowing out and me rolling 13 times down the highway.

I've not had my car up to speed yet. Only about 95 or so. My friends 95' Camaro with the 3.4l though only got up to 115, then the governor kicks in and ruins the fun, so I'd have to assume thats the top speed for my Cutlass too.

Oh, and you won't go any faster if your car kicks into fourth gear when your going for top speed. Remember that fourth gear is overdrive which means its a reduction gear and thus has crap for power.