Suicide Hood

D M N

What exactly is it? Is it just a hood that opens on the opposite side? I know some Buick's had them but you would have to make custom hinges, would be cool though.

plan on it when i get my cowl/ram air hood done - not sure how to just yet though... think imma have clearance issues with lights and such for the hinges.

any ideas???

- Justin

plan on it when i get my cowl/ram air hood done - not sure how to just yet though... think imma have clearance issues with lights and such for the hinges.

any ideas???

- Justin

cowl on a W-body?? or is it for another car??

I would guess that the easiest/cheapest way to do it would be to get all the hinges, latches, everything off of an early 90's lesabre, they had the suicide(reverse opening) hood.

are yo for real it came stock on does cars???

P.S. A cowl on a EFI car is the completly usless and in my oppinion would look retarted on our cars the only reason you would get on is if you have a carb setup that would need the clearance.

I would guess that the easiest/cheapest way to do it would be to get all the hinges, latches, everything off of an early 90's lesabre, they had the suicide(reverse opening) hood.

are yo for real it came stock on does cars???

P.S. A cowl on a EFI car is the completly usless and in my oppinion would look retarted on our cars the only reason you would get on is if you have a carb setup that would need the clearance.

this is a Lesabre T-Type..a friend of mine owns it..he has a few pics w/ the hood up and you can probably see the hinges and whatnot in them.

http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=328406&page=1

and as far as a cowl being useless..maybe so, but some people are into looks, that cutty that someone on here has w/ a cowl hood looked pretty good w/ it on there in my opinion.

that t-type is bad ass

But if you were to do a suicide hood you'd have to find a way to securely latch the hood by the windshield, which would be pretty diffacult, then have the hinges swing out in front so u can clear the bumper and headlights like the t type. don't give in the urge to use hood pins = rice or tryin to be a muscle car which no wbody is. JMO later Jay

We had a 1988 Renault Medallion... It had a monkey-ass backwards hood.. It latched at the windshield, and had small hinges.. It was as though someone made it that way, but it was factory.. But try searching for Renault/Eagle Medallions.. Find a pic and you'll know what Im yammering about, lol..

any ideas???

- Justin

cowl on a W-body?? or is it for another car??

yes, a w-body, but only for the fact that im doing a top mount IC as well as a front mount.... the top mount will have a CO2 sprayer and then go right into the intake....

- Justin

My 1989 Buick park avenue has a suicide hood and under it its got a really nice heatsheild with the Buick logo on it :D i wish my lumina looked like it.

only 100,000 miles on that baby. used to be my grandparents daily driver

Be sure you do it right. You'll want the corners and rear of the hood VERY firmly anchored when shut. If the rear of the hood isn't secure, in a collision the hood could become a very large guilliotine and slice your head right off. The latches you use on the rear will need to be strong enough that they will keep the hood fastened down even in an accident so that it crumples in an upward "V" shape rather than just going right through your windshield.

Personally, I wouldn't like it. 90% of the time, when I'm working on the car, I want to stand in front of it and work on things in the front. I didn't mind it so much on the Saab 900, but that was because the Saab engine was completely backwards (belts and pulleys at the firewall, tranny at the front).

I would rather have the Mercedes style hood that opens normally, but can open to extreme angles, 90-100 degrees. You could do an engine swap without removing the hood!

I have had a few cars with hoods that opened the wrong way....my old nissan 280ZX and two Pontiac Fieros.....I didn't like it on the Nissan as it was "different" to work on the motor, but I liked it on the Fiero, as I didn't have to worry about it getting in the way because the motor was under the trunk.....

My friends 1993 jeep hood opens all the way. He rests the hood over the windsheild, it looks stupid, but i would rather have that because it gives you plenty of room to work. I cant say i would want it resting on my windsheild though.

I had a Buick Electra T-Type years ago, and if I remember the hinges lifted the hood up and away so there were no clearance issues with the grill and headlight buckets.

You would need both hinges, and the latch/striker and possibly the hood release cable. You would also probably have to do a little fab work under the hood so that you could attach all the parts.

I think it could be done...

I'll try it... my hood is fucked already so i dont see any loss if i fuck that up... and other stuff, usually can be reversed. I just dont think i'll go as far as cutting anything, maybe drilling, but NO cutting.

- Justin

I'll try it... my hood is fucked already so i dont see any loss if i fuck that up... and other stuff, usually can be reversed. I just dont think i'll go as far as cutting anything, maybe drilling, but NO cutting.

- Justin

If your going to do it keep us posted

If the rear of the hood isn't secure, in a collision the hood could become a very large guilliotine and slice your head right off

Geez Shawn, thanks for the graphic description!!!! :puke:

J/k....

If the rear of the hood isn't secure, in a collision the hood could become a very large guilliotine and slice your head right off

Geez Shawn, thanks for the graphic description!!!! :puke:

J/k....

:lol2: This is so fucking funny man :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

that pic of the cowl hood looks really boss!...I wouldn't be my personal choice but it still looks good. I'd love to have those twin ram-air scoops with the heat extractors at the rear a la WS6 Trans AM. I think those scoops would look right at home on my Lumina hood...and I'm afraid I have to disagree with a comment in a previous post that no w-body can be a muscle car. I guess this depends largely on your definition of what a muscle car is. If the reference is to big cubic inch pavement pounders of yesteryear, then I agree wbody cars aren't in that class of the history of performance cars. However, to me thats what so great about being a carguy. There are so many different forms of performance cars, and in my book anything that gets down the track (street driven of course) in under 13 seconds could be considered a muscle car. Even the new import craze, while I personally don't care for it, I can't be blind to the fact that a lot of those cars really haul ass. I can't ridicule them but just so hard. When I was 16 anyone who put dual exhaust on a 6cyl engine got laughed out of the parking lot, yet today I just plunked down $300 to put dual outlets (not even true duals) on my Lumina. But I still love the sound, the look of those chrome tips out back and the boost it gave it in performance. To me they are building better muscle cars now than they ever have. Their maintnence is much lower, they start in cold weather and they haul freight on pump gas while using a heck of a lot less of it. That's almost like having your cake and eating it too. The 3.4DOHC and the 3.8SC might not be muscle of old, but in the day of NOS and Turbos they look like muscle cars to me.

My 1989 Buick park avenue has a suicide hood and under it its got a really nice heatsheild with the Buick logo on it :D i wish my lumina looked like it.

only 100,000 miles on that baby. used to be my grandparents daily driver

I remember my Gram's 1990 Park Avenue with that to. That heat shield is pretty damn cool.

Aaron