Remote Car Starter Install

Hey Guys!

My bro would like to buy a remote car starter with keyless entry and trunk release for my mom's 93 Buick Regal Custom Sedan as a christmas present. We'd like to install it ourselves.

Has anyone here installed such a system on thier car themselves? Can anyone tell me where some of the wires I'll need to splice into are?? is there a module for the door locks somewhere? How about the trunk release??

Any help would really be appreciated!!

just didyesterday actually... PM me with any questions and i can give you wire colors, functions and locations....

- Justin

or could you post it here and share your knowledge with the rest of us.....

thanks in advance.

OK, First of all what brand of remote starter are u going to purchase, second all the wires are under the driver side dash that's where the ignition wires are, and if your locks are electric its easy to hook up the keyless entry just have to splice the wires that control the locks oya you might need a relay (if that's what its called) to change it from a positive to a negative and vise versa, The brand i installed came with an instruction video on how to do it and they had a website that showed the wire colors for my car, i don't know if it is a great brand but it hasn't failed me yet, I've had it for over a year now installed by me. i installed mine on my '90 CS sedan heres their site just look for the tech support link to thier wire colors-- http://www.designtech-intl.com

Cool!! Yes, that site helped me alot! It even gives wire locations, but its not the brand I ordered.

This is the one I got: http://www.prime-start.com/Html/x10.html

And here is the .pdf file for the manual, which I've already looked at: http://www.prime-start.com/Html/manuals.html

Here is the wiring colors for my mom's car: http://www.designtech-intl.com/Content/techsupport/wirecolors/VehicleDetail?modelID=145

So can anyone tell me where the Ignition Harness is? How do I get access to the headlight switch? Highbeam switch?

Thanks for the help so far, guys![/url]

OK, here you are. If anyone else wants their vehicle specific wiring, let me know as i have 88-04 wiring.

here is the wiring for the 93 regal as requested:

93_regal_wires.jpg

OK, just a few notes.... make sure you have plent of 30-40 amp Relays (if your near a junkyard and your cheap, pull a bunch from the relay box on the passenger side of any w. Otherwise they are a few bucks each. You will need the relays as most alarms will put out negative (-) trigger signals for lock and unlock functions where as our cars use positive (+) signals.

You will have a huge mess of wires when installing. I have pictures that are at home that i will post later today.

As far as the hood safety pin (switch) they are misleading under the hood, as your radiotor support has several unused holes that the pin will thread into, BUT, the lower part of the support is blocked, so you will have to drill a hole on the lip (towards the engine) to mount the switch and be able to hook it up.

The siren will fit nicely against the strut tower where the cruise control bolts on. You dont even have to drill, just completely unbolt your cruise control and move it out of the way. take the siren and slip it ofer the existing stud, then put the cruise control actuator back and bolt it down. This is also a hard place to get to when all bolted down so it makes it difficult to disable the siren in the event that the car was broken into.

as for the Parking lights. On your switch there are several brown wires. The wiring guilde saiys brown, so be careful. The one you want to use is the dark brown 22awg wire. The wire has a gray hue to it so it is kinda easy to find.

as far as the doors: you will need to relays to hook the locks up. One for Lock and the other for Unlock. When wiring in the relays, you will take each wire from the alarm systems (usually they are blu and purple wires). take your blue wire (usually the "lock" signal and hook that up to terminal 85. Terminal 86 and 87 are BOTH 12v +. Make sure you fuse them as to not blow your door lock actuators. then terminal 30 on the relay goes to the lock wire itself.

The Lock wire (light blue) is found in the kick panel. it is hooked up to the WHITE plug, not the blue. Just be safe, unplug the harness and try your door locks. If they work, wrong harness, if not then your got it right.

the Unlock is a little tricky. it is also on the white plug, but it is a black wire. Now, there are 2 black wires on this plug. Basicly, with the plug in its original position on the car, it is the black wire furthest away from you. kinda hard to explain but you'll figure it out. It will not damage anything if you hook it up to the wrong wire, it just wont unlock your doors until you switch wires so dont close your doors and test it.

The Door pin switch is a pain in the ass too as it is hard to get to. You will have to recline your seat all the bay back and lay upsidedown on it with your head under the steering wheel. you can reach up and follow the wires enough to where you can tug them a little to be able to work on them. You will want to hook up the door trigger wire from the alarm to the WHITE wire on the pin.

As far as the starter goes, the unit should have everything (relays) on board so you wont need more relays. basicly, the only wires you will need are located directly under the steering column in the MAIN harness. you will need a 7mm nut driver to unplug this harness (and trust me, you want to unplug it)

once unplugged, it is all fairly self explanitory, just follow your instructions with the unit and you should be fine.

the alarm starter kill is a bit tricky as the wires on the main harness are short and difficult to work with. but you will basicly cut the "on and cranking" wire (the FAT yellow wire on the main harness) and connect it via a relay connected to the alarm system. Basicly the function of this is that if the alarm has been triggered, it will send a signal to the relay, wich will then Open the circuit, rendereing the vehicle useless. when not triggered, the relay closes the circuit, making the vehicle startable.

Trunk pop: simple, but agian, you need another relay. merely tap into the black wire coming out of your truck switch. Same hookup techniques EXCEPT, on the relay, the signal from the alarm goes to terminal 85 as usual, then 86 is POSITIVE (+) 12v and terminal 87 is GROUND. Terminal 30 goes to the trunk wire.

Hardest part of the install will be organization. Make sure that you trim the wires short enough that they will be out of the way, but leave them long enough to work with. When you are done, place the brain box for the alarm as far up into the dash as you can to make it hard for a patential theif to find it and unplug it. As far as the shock sensor, zip tie it to a WIRE on the main wiring harness as it will vibrate on an impact more then a solid surface will.

Install should take about 2hours if your somewhat knowledgeable about wiring and elctronics, otherwise shouldnt take more then 4 at the very most.

Make sure you have plenty of solder, heat shrink tube and electrical tape, or plenty of T-Splices if you choose to go that way, but i highly dont recamend it as they have a tendancey to fail and come loose.

Hope this helps. Ask anymore questions and i will help you out as best as i can.

Remember, i am an MECP certified installer and have been doing this shit for years, including 7 of the denver bronco's trucks and cars. One was Harold hasselback (#96) and his excursuion that i was in all 3 major papers here do doing the install on, and many others... I have pics of that install to, custom center console with laptop mount, JVC Kamelion Deck, TV, VCR, DVD, Dreamcast in the armrest in the back, MB Quart all the way around, 2 Xtant A-series subs and an XTant 1001M amp pushing the subs and another XTant 1005 amp pushing the rest, all that and alarm/remote start. - sorry, off topic.

- Justin

Remember, i am an MECP certified installer and have been doing this shit for years, including 7 of the denver bronco's trucks and cars. One was Harold hasselback (#96) and his excursuion that i was in all 3 major papers here do doing the install on, and many others... I have pics of that install to, custom center console with laptop mount, JVC Kamelion Deck, TV, VCR, DVD, Dreamcast in the armrest in the back, MB Quart all the way around, 2 Xtant A-series subs and an XTant 1001M amp pushing the subs and another XTant 1005 amp pushing the rest, all that and alarm/remote start. - sorry, off topic.

- Justin

The man is knowledgeable AND has creditals!

here are some of the pics as promised....

The Main wiring harness under the steering column:

(close up)

main_harness1.jpg

main_harness2.jpg

Driver side kick panel door lock harness:

door_lock2.jpg

door_lock3.jpg

And, finally the huge mess of wires before everything was neatly tucked away:

install_mess.jpg

install_mess2.jpg

anything else? lemme know and i'll post more pics

- Justin

yea, i still havent gotten around to putting mine in my lumina yet.

:roll:

I dropped the kick panel to find an alarm, so i got some of the wires i need there, lol. Maybe it wont be to bad

John

OK, I got the kit today. Looks pretty straight foreward, but I didn't see any relays. I kind of suspect it might be built right into the unit, as I flipped through the manual and noticed in one of the diagrams a "12V inverted" or something to that effect. Thats likely for the door locks.

I also hit the parts store to check my options for connecting the wires into the stock harnesses, and my best bet seemed to be piggyback connectors. Only problem was they weren't available in the larger guages for the starter, ignition and power ciructs, so I'll have to figgure something different out for them. I'm going to try to stay away from those blue things showed in the pictures provided. I've "attempted" to use them before without much luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions for connectors when splicing into 10-12 Guage wire?

Thanks for anything!