Help please... diagnose/test keyless entry module?

barryc

My 95 Grand Prix GTP has an electrical issue (when interior lights fade out, the back-of-door courtesy lamps and mirror map lights come on, but dim). This continues until the battery dies. At the same time, the switches for the power locks stopped working, but they still lock automatically. They don't unlock automatically, though. I've carefully checked for shorts, and tested both pinswitches in the doors. My hunch is the keyless entry module is fried, but it's an expensive part to guess at. Any second opinions, or can this be tested?

Thanks!

It can be tested, and your service manual has a flow chart to test with it installed in the car.

My best bet, find a donor from a junkyard and put in in.

Remember, you need the Keyless Remote Module to complete the door locks circuit, so keep it in if not in use.

- Erik

Try unplugging the RKE module to see if this stops the lights from staying on.

I had thought about this, but I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that unplugging the module would just kill the whole system. Will the circuits (PDL, interior lights etc) work with the module unplugged??

Try unplugging the RKE module to see if this stops the lights from staying on.

I had thought about this, but I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that unplugging the module would just kill the whole system. Will the circuits (PDL, interior lights etc) work with the module unplugged??

[see above post] You need the module to complete the circuits it ties into. [/see above post]

If you pull it, mainly the door locks will not operate and you won't fix the problem.

- Erik

Also with the KME, the door lock relay is built into it, as opposed to being a seprate unit mounted under the passenger side dash. thus being the reason why the KME completes the circuit