Keyless Entry

dhs1223

I know someone will say "try the search" and I did but I did not find the answer I was hoping for:

I have a 1995 Cutlass Convertible. When I bought the car, it did not come with any "keyless entry" remotes. I have since purchased a used remote off Ebay.

Can someone please let me know how I might be able to get my car to recognize this 'replacement' remote. Is there an easy way to reprogram either the remote or the receiver in the car. I am not sure which.

I don't want to go to a dealer and have them "program it" for me at a cost that probably is unreasonable for the work involved.

Thanks in advance to those who know these things and are willing to share their expertise.

1. Open trunk lid. Remove right side rear compartment trim. Using a jumper wire with alligator clips ground transmitter program wire terminal. Door locks will lock and unlock, indicating receiver is in program mode.

2. Depress and hold any button on one transmitter. Door locks and truck lid release should activate in about 2 seconds. First transmitter is now programmed. Repeat this step using other transmitter. If only one transmitter is being used, disconnect jumper wire.

Thanks very much for the information. I will give it a shot over the next couple of days and will let you know how I make out. I knew this forum would prove helpful. I hope that there will be ways that I can help out in the future. For now, I am glad that this forum is here to answer my questions.

Isn't there also a method that involves starting the car, then pressing and holding certain buttons? Just thought I read that somewhere. If that's wrong, I'm glad to know the real way, I need another one too.

Isn't there also a method that involves starting the car, then pressing and holding certain buttons? Just thought I read that somewhere. If that's wrong, I'm glad to know the real way, I need another one too.

On the much newer ones, yes.

1. Open trunk lid. Remove right side rear compartment trim. Using a jumper wire with alligator clips ground transmitter program wire terminal. Door locks will lock and unlock, indicating receiver is in program mode.

2. Depress and hold any button on one transmitter. Door locks and truck lid release should activate in about 2 seconds. First transmitter is now programmed. Repeat this step using other transmitter. If only one transmitter is being used, disconnect jumper wire.

Would this be located in the same place on a 90' GP? And would a newer transmitter (say from a 97 Grand Prix) work on it?