Radio Question

Shaners

My car has the AM/FM Cass with EQ in it and I want to upgrade to a CD.

I found 2 radios AM/FM/CD on Ebay. One is from a '92 and the other is from a '94. Both say they work with steering wheel controls. Neither of them have the EQ function.

Will both of these units be "plug and play" in my '93 Cutlass?

Did they make an AM/FM/CD with EQ and should I wait and try to find one of them?

Did they make an AM/FM/CD with EQ and should I wait and try to find one of them?

No, the equalizer does not come with the EQ.

But pluged into the CD player is the audio bass control switch located above the headlight switch.

I, too, was looking for a CD player on eBay; maybe I can help out... what are the links to the head units?

- Erik

Redfox, These units probably won't work in your late model Monte.

I don't know for sure but I'm just guessing... besides, these are old technology Delco units.

This is a picture of one of them...

9c_1.JPG

Redfox, These units probably won't work in your late model Monte.

No, when I had my 1992 Cutlass DOHC, I, too, was looking for a CD head unit.

From the picture, that look like the same one. But, ask for a rear picture to double check plugs.

Have you pulled your deck to see the number of plugs you have?

- Erik

I don't know how many plugs are on the back of the head unit. I can't really check either, because the car was put in storage yesterday.

I do have the steering wheel controls, and the brief description on the radios says that it has the extra plug for the steering wheel controls.

What is the audio bass control switch? I haven't noticed it in the car... The only switch above the headlight button that I can remember is for the convertible top.

If there is a switch to turn on an amp or subwoofer, then that would explain why I think the stock speakers are so terrible!!!

What is the audio bass control switch? I haven't noticed it in the car... The only switch above the headlight button that I can remember is for the convertible top.

The subfwoofer should always be on with the stereo on.

The audio bass control is above the headlight switch, left of the dash cluster.

On my old 1992 Cutlass DOHC, it apart of the fog light switch.

- Erik

Convertible's wouldn't have the audio bass control..

There's no rear deck for the speakers to reproduce any good bass. The stock speaker placements in the convertible's are pretty poor for bass response.

That CD deck you have pictured will work in your cutlass.

I have the original deck, the one in the picture sitting in my garage. My speakers do not product hardly any base at all. When i had my subs, the speakers were awesome because they did damn well with the highs, and the subs hit the lows. One badass sounding system i have to say. I want to find a new deck though because the cd player in my stock one doesnt work, and i am selling my aftermarket cd player/amp/sub box on ebay right now. But, the speakers in the converts dont product base, and that deck should work in your car.

i don't know about everyone else...but i have a custom system in my car that i configured. The only thing i didn't install myself was the CD player, because it was a sorta custom job that I had circuit city do for me. They had to put an adapter on just about every connection for it to work. My car setup is the following:

- Pioneer DEH-2400F 45x4 Head Unit

- Pioneer TS-A6985 6"x9" 260w speakers

- Pioneer TS-G1047 4" 100w speakers

Go custom. It'll be considerably better than the stock setup, even if you just change the head unit the sound quality will dramatically improve.

Use Crutchfield! http://www.crutchfield.com They're awesome for helping you configure your car. I got lucky and bought both of my sets of speakers for cheaper from wholesalers on ebay. Also, you have an cutty from before 95...yea the front speakers are a bitch. I had to lift the dashboard with the help of one of my friends who works for best buy. It took us a good 1 1/2 to two hours.