anyone ever concidered a short shifter

lolumz34

see...I want one...

I was in my friends civic...before and after the shifter was installed..and I think I want one.

has anyone ever tried, or thought about trying to make one for our cars?

It wouldnt be very hard.

Cut the stock one with a saw. Cut out a short section, and get it welded back together.

What I plan on doing when I swap my Z34's getrag into my car, is to cut off the end of the shifter, and notch out a piece of round stock to slide over it. Then drill holes through it and bolt it together. That way I have a lot more options for shift knobs (I fucking hate the Z34 shift knob), and I can even shorten it a little if desired. Probably not a lot, it's a pretty good length already IMO.

Ok...

That I am already going to do...

But that is a "shorter" shifter.

I'm talking about a short Shifter..

It actually makes the throw into the next gear shorter.

My friends Civic is about an inch from gear to gear...love it.

Umm I think it would be hard unless you got a whole assembly for the shorter throws. On EFI Nico, if any of you guys remeber him, cut his shifter down but who knows, ask Ben he bought his car.

To 93GTP: Have you [really] looked at a Regal shift knob? Same as in a Riviera also. Black, genuine leather, vertical gripage rather than GP horizontal. It is a much better feel.

Don't know that gripage is a word but.....ya get the idea.

I'm not sure what they put in the 95 on up Regals, but the Rivieras go to at least 97.

Guest TurboSedan

i have an extra GP shifter that i've been wanting to cut down. how much should be cut-off? i was thinking at most an inch. also, could i just cut an inch off and re-die the stick so i could thread the handle back on? that seems easier than cutting a chunk out and rewelding the threaded part back on.

joshua

i have an extra GP shifter that i've been wanting to cut down. how much should be cut-off? i was thinking at most an inch. also, could i just cut an inch off and re-die the stick so i could thread the handle back on? that seems easier than cutting a chunk out and rewelding the threaded part back on.

joshua

If you're shifter arm is already round, then yeah that's easier.

But I was referring to the Z34 shifter, which is a piece of flat stamped steel, which doesnt leave you many options for shift knobs.

Well..when it comes to the options for shift knobs

I'm going to cut off what's there...and weld a bolt on..all the new knobs are threaded...so I will be able to put them on..

But about the short shifter...I have a friend in Smith falls that has a friend in Ottawa that is willing to take a go at it...We'll see.

What I plan on doing when I swap my Z34's getrag into my car, is to cut off the end of the shifter, and notch out a piece of round stock to slide over it. Then drill holes through it and bolt it together. That way I have a lot more options for shift knobs (I fucking hate the Z34 shift knob), and I can even shorten it a little if desired. Probably not a lot, it's a pretty good length already IMO.

I'm doing the same thing, except I'm going to weld the notched & threaded rod on. :D

Guest TurboSedan

But I was referring to the Z34 shifter, which is a piece of flat stamped steel, which doesnt leave you many options for shift knobs.

i didn't know they were different :think: i would've thought GM would use the same shifter for every W-body i guess.

joshua

I don't know why you're all putting threads on there. Most cool shift knobs use set screws rather than threading onto the shifter.

I'll have a piece of round stock there anyway, so if I do get a threaded shifter handle, all I have to do is cut some threads on it with a die.

i didn't know they were different :think: i would've thought GM would use the same shifter for every W-body i guess.

joshua

haha, yeah, that's another reason why I hate GM sometimes. Stupid bullshit like that.