Trans fluid

brother pig

i have also heard that. the only explaination i have heard is that the old burnt fluid and the new fluid have different viscosities.

my fluid was brown at 83,000 miles

i dropped the pan, changed the filter, and refilled the trans and i have had no problems whatsoever with the trans

I've never heard changing the fluid is bad. I have heard that flushing a high mileage tranny can be bad. About a year ago I changed the fluid/filter on mine and have not had any problems.

Well, I have had no problems to date, but I was just wondering why that could be. And I didn't mean that changing the fluid was bad; just changing burnt fluid was. But I feel better now. Thanks!

I've never heard changing the fluid is bad. I have heard that flushing a high mileage tranny can be bad. About a year ago I changed the fluid/filter on mine and have not had any problems.

I still dont get why

Help me

John

ok i will tell you why

it is possable on a high mileage and burnt fluid when you do a service on it (fluid and filter) the burnt fluid is contaminated with the clutch pack material there for when you change the fluid and filter the new fluid does not have the material the old did there for the clutch pack wont work as good as before

i have had this happen to me on a th350 it is possable that this could happen

but don't let it scare you from changeing it

most the time this happens to overly burnt fluid

but thats why guys

but please do change your fluid if it is discolored or slightly burnt

allways look for it and do it as soon as you see it the longer it goes the more damage it does

hope this helps a bit :)

Hmmm...didn't know that. I just had my tranny flushed, the pan and magnet cleaned, and the filter replaced. My filuid wasn't even brown; I just figured mileage wise that it was time to do it.

I thought it was just bad to flush the oil system on a high mileage car, as it could wash away bearing material, etc.

ok i will tell you why

it is possable on a high mileage and burnt fluid when you do a service on it (fluid and filter) the burnt fluid is contaminated with the clutch pack material there for when you change the fluid and filter the new fluid does not have the material the old did there for the clutch pack wont work as good as before

but thats why guys

allways look for it and do it as soon as you see it the longer it goes the more damage it does

hrm. ok papapooh, what is i have gone 35000 miles (probably more, ive had the car for that long) without a tranny service. are you saying i should just drop the pan and change the fluid and filter? If i do that, dont i only get half the fluid anyways, since the rest is in torque converter?

help me out man, i dont want my baby to die :D

John

hrm. ok papapooh, what is i have gone 35000 miles (probably more, ive had the car for that long) without a tranny service. are you saying i should just drop the pan and change the fluid and filter? If i do that, dont i only get half the fluid anyways, since the rest is in torque converter?

That's correct, just dropping the pan will only get 35% - 45% of the old fluid out.

If you've done a pan drop lately or the fluid is only slightly burned, do a Torque Flush instead.

That completely gets out 100% of the old fluid and minimal work it required.

Remember that the tranny filter is made so that relatively "big" metal shavings are not recirculated through.

- Erik

ok i will tell you why

but thats why guys

help me out man, i dont want my baby to die :D

John

Just go ahead and drop the pan and change the fluid and filter. If you were to do a flush, what PaPaPooh said is correct, there is also the possibility of any deposits in the tranny coming loose AFTER the flush, due to the fresh detergents in the fluid, and then wreaking havoc on the trans. If you drop the pan you'll get more than half of the fluid out. I did mine and over 7 quarts came out. Needless to say, a 5 quart drain pan didn't hold everything. If it concerns you about fluid then you can drain, refill, drive a few hundred miles, drain, refill..... Do that about 3 times and you'll dilute the old fluid to the point that it will be close to what a flush would do but not as sudden or extreme.