performance chip or tune the stock computer?

redneckguy

There's really no way that I'm aware of to "tune" the computer per se... The newer OBDII computers have a flashable memory, so you have to hook up your scanner and change the values for speed limiter, fuel trims, etc right in the computer. The older computers, like yours, just have a chip you can replace. If you have a 4 speed auto I have a chip for sale, I had it in my old automatic 89 CS, but haven't put it in the 5 speed since it would probably mess some stuff up. I can get the brand and part # is you'd like.

i'm just learning this stuff right now and someone told me i could tune the ecm so i just got confused. so do you guys know where i could get a chip for a 5 spd cs or can I just use a chip meant for the vaccuum controlled 4 spd auto?

Your ecm and chip have to be for a manual tranny. Have you had any luck finding a 5 speed cutty yet? I got lucky and found a 5 speed International in bad shape a couple of months ago and still havent done the swap yet into one my 89 cuttys. I just dred all the swaping. :D

Your ecm and chip have to be for a manual tranny. Have you had any luck finding a 5 speed cutty yet? I got lucky and found a 5 speed International in bad shape a couple of months ago and still havent done the swap yet into one my 89 cuttys. I just dred all the swaping. :D

sorry about the double post. :oops:

Just hit the little X in the upper right corner. I think you can only program the ecm in the obd2 computers. A friend did it on his 97 Z28. I have heard of other newer cars getting it done but nothing with obd1.

Just hit the little X in the upper right corner. I think you can only program the ecm in the obd2 computers. A friend did it on his 97 Z28. I have heard of other newer cars getting it done but nothing with obd1.

Hmmm, mine is OBD1 and I program it, not unless you don't consider the MEMCAL part of the ECM. GM OBD1 is more tedious because you have to swap chips, OBD2 is all built in flash chips.

Hmmm, mine is OBD1 and I program it, not unless you don't consider the MEMCAL part of the ECM. GM OBD1 is more tedious because you have to swap chips, OBD2 is all built in flash chips.

LIke i said i havent heard of obd1 being programed til now. cool i couldnt do either one i dont know crap out car computers.