how to take the steering column off?

stlunatics2oo3

okay i wanna change the steering column in my 89 cutty and put a 93 lumina euros in cause my turn signal switch is messed up so i figure be easier to change the column so if you kno how to do it let me kno on either accounts

thanks

Jeremy

I've done a column swap from a '90 Grand Prix to my '88

I don't know if the Lumina and Regal are the same, but I will assume they are and that the wire harness are

the same too (you should take a look and see before you do anything).

Anyways heres what I did:

NOTE:

*its easiest to use the ignition from the doner column.. so if it has keys thats a bonus (you'll just have to get extra keys made). If you plan on using the ignition from your old column, you will need special tools

and possibly have to get a mechanic to do it.

1. remove the plastic under the dash for access to the column area

2. There are 2(or 4, I can't remember) bolts holding the column *UP* and 2 bolts holding it *against* the car. Remove the ones holding it against the car first so the column doesn't fall on your head, then remove the top ones.

Note: there is still a bolt holding the very end of the column to the car (discussed later).

3. With the main bolts out now, the column should be easy to manouver around. You can now have easy access

to the wire harness and parking cable (or whatever its called, on the left side of the column that connects just behind the tilt handle.) The wire harness has some blue clips holding it together you will need to pop

them out with a screwdriver. Next remove the 'parking cable' by removing taking off the metal plate on the top of the column. There are little screws for the 'parking cable' switch, just take the switch off.

4. With all the wires and cable now disconnected, remove the bolt that holds the end of the column to the steering.

You now should be able to completely remove the column.

Follow the reverse for installation. Getting the end of the column to fit back in was a real PITA, and make sure that you put the bolt in AFTER you get the column pushed in! There was plastic around the area at the end of the column which I cut it out a bit for easier access to the end of the column.

Good luck and take your time. Took me about 4 hours should take you less if you use these instructions.

PM me if you have further questions. :wink: